X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with my internet

Hi,

I wanted to try out some Linux, so installed WinXP / Kubuntu as dual boot on a single machine.

Now, most important thing of course is the internet! During kubuntu install, I inputted the IP address, gateway, etc., same as my TCP/IP settings under windows. Then ok, boot into kubuntu. But I find that I don't have internet access!

Any ideas?

If it helps, there's this part during bootup that says something like "synchronizing clock with ntp.ubuntulinux.org" and after a while it becomes failed! It shows an error like "name server resolution temporarily unavailable" (not sure the exact wording, anyhow...)

Is it likely that I've set the wrong value for the name servers? I assume it's the same as the primary and secondary DNS I've set in TCP/IP settings of WinXP? Or am I running down the wrong trail here?

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks a lot

Re: Help with my internet

You can check your /etc/resolv.conf file for proper DNS settings, You can check the output of ifconfig for proper IP settings.
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Are you sure you have a static internet address? Often, these are set automatically using DHCP. Did you need to put all of that info into WinXP or did it just work? If so, then allowing Kubuntu to assign it is also likely to work

Comment

Yup, I have a static address, and yes, I had to put all that info manually into WinXP.

I'm trying to fool around a bit with ifconfig and /etc/resolv.conf, hopefully it can clear things up...

Comment

Working...
        X