X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Latitude install problems V7.04

I have two Dell latitude c400 laptops and cannot install kubunu on them

The CD boots to the main menu, I choose option 1 to install. The screen goes blank for 5 minutes then the CD boots. I then get this Error KDesktop – The process for this protocol died unexpectedly.

I suspect it’s a graphics problem, is there anyway to force the install in VGA mode?

Other info
    Have tried the install on both laptops
    Run memtest on the laptops
    The kubuntu CD is good, as I have installed it on a PC from this disk
    Updated the bios in the laptops to A12 (Dells latest version)
    Have tried 2 CD ROMS
    I have installed fedora core on one of the laptops in the past but it did not support my wireless
    I have installed SUSE in the past on one of the laptops and I could not get the wireless working, also with SUSE I had to manually select a mobile video driver to get the laptop working.

Both laptops have 256MB ram and 20GB hard drives, I only use these laptops to connect to my music server so am not worried about fancy graphics just need a wireless facility. I know the laptops are working fine with wireless using windows.

Every time I try to move away from Microsoft I always get some bizarre problems and have to revert back (so this time I will ask people in the know and not give up). Am currently downloading ubuntu to try this next.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Alan

Re: Dell Latitude install problems V7.04

As I haven't booted from a LiveCD in awhile, ....

Are you trying to actually do a system install, or trying to simply boot the LiveCD to 'check it out?'
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I downloaded the kubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso

It boots with this splash screen

Start or install kubuntu
      Start kubuntu in safe graphics mode
      Install with driver update cd
      Check cd for defects
      Memory test
      Boot from first hard disk

I have tried the first two options.

This happens when I select the top two options, at the top of the screen in green text.

Loading……………………………xxxxxxxxx………
      ………………..xxxxxxxxxxx………………………….
      ………………………xxxxxxxx…………………..

Where xxxxxx is text I can’t read. The display then goes blank

The graphics card in the laptop(s) is an Intel® 82830M Graphics Controller

The ubuntu cd is doing the same.

Comment

Do a "Google" for "linux dell latitude c400"

Among the interesting finds are "Liberating the Dell Latitude C400" at http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/linux/c400.html and Running Linux on Dell Laptop and Notebook Computers at http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html. The latter has 2 entries of Ubuntu, 1 Redhat 7.3, 1 Debian and 1 Gentoo.

From Wikipedia Ubuntu: 256 MB of memory is required to install Ubuntu from the Live CD, although an alternate CD with only command line installation can be run with less memory. So you are on the edge for installing from a LiveCD. You will be better with an Alternate CD.
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for your help, I am Downloading the alternate CD now will keep you posted tomorrow on what happens. Currently reading through the web links

Comment

This is embarrassing I was using the desktop disks and not the alternate disks all along (dam newbies).

Kubuntu is now installed on both laptops, thanks for your help and advice.

Alan

Comment

Working...
            X