This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont know how to get Belkin WiFi card to work

I have an older latop PC that i thought I would try Kubuntu on.. I went out and bought a Belkin Wireless G notebook pcmcia card. I know the card works on windows, but it wont even light up in Linux. I am not very familiar with linux, this is more of a learning experience for me. Anyway, I have no idea how to get the card to work, I thought maybe someone out there might have experience in this. the model number on the card is Belkin F5D7010. Thanks for any help

Re: Dont know how to get Belkin WiFi card to work

Originally posted by cadet326
    I have an older latop PC that i thought I would try Kubuntu on.. I went out and bought a Belkin Wireless G notebook pcmcia card. I know the card works on windows, but it wont even light up in Linux. I am not very familiar with linux, this is more of a learning experience for me. Anyway, I have no idea how to get the card to work, I thought maybe someone out there might have experience in this. the model number on the card is Belkin F5D7010. Thanks for any help
    My laptop is fairly new and I have the same problem using a late model MS MN 720 wireless bus card adaptor. And the problem is not only with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, but also with MEPIS. I have been told, and have read that the current kernal does not support these types of wireless adaptor cards. IOW, the card is not "seen", doesn't light, just like it's not there.

I'm not sure that installing and using ndiswrapper to load windows drivers for the card would work or for that matter is worth the effort to even try. That's my opinion, you may wish to try.

Anyway, the next kernal series of Kubuntu supposedly will support these types of bus card adaptors. We'll just have to wait and see.

Regards.

Comment

I have almost the same problem but kunbuntu can see me cards but it won't let me enable them.

Comment

What I'm trying to do is to update to KDE 3.5 maybe that would help for you. I'm a newbie to Linux aswell.

Comment

Upgrading to KDE 3.5 is not going to help. I'm currently using KDE 3.5 and the same problem exists. It's probably going to take a new kernal issue before WiFi bus card adaptors are able to work. If yours can be "seen" by Kubuntu, then you may be able to get it to work by going thru the WiFi configuration setup.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
          X