Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dual boot Win/Kubuntu: resizing possible after install?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual boot Win/Kubuntu: resizing possible after install?

I'll soon be setting up a dual boot WinXP/Feisty machine. At this point I have only one simple question:

After Feisty's up, and after I've found additional ways to reduce the size of the partition my WinXP is needing for the few things I'll keep doing with it, can I again (i.e., post-install) resize the partition so as to give more space to Feisty?

This would be a wonderful thing, if possible. I'll give me reason to get Feisty on board quicker, for one thing.

Thanks for the assist.

Re: dual boot Win/Kubuntu: resizing possible after install?

Originally posted by tomcloyd

can I again (i.e., post-install) resize the partition so as to give more space to Feisty?
    This is one of those "should" answers .... YES, it should work. But back up everything valuable first.

In Windows, if you will (a) delete known junk, (b) Disk Cleanup, and then (c) Defrag, and then (d) Defrag a couple more times, the result should be a pretty compact Windows partition, for about the next 10 seconds. So get out of Windows at that point, run GParted, and you'll be safe to shrink the Windows partion down to leave only a little unused space in it. "Little" being a relative term, I guess -- depends on the size of the files that you need to sling around in it, but a couple of GB of free space should be sufficient.

Comment

The best tool for resizing is Gparted.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

edit: I see dibl beat me to it again.

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Regarding "http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php" - are you saying its better to use this than to use the partitioner that comes on the Kubuntu install disk image?

Comment

I would use gparted as well. You could just use the Kubuntu partitioner, but I would install gparted from the Adept package manager in Kubuntu and then resize (don't burn a cd just for a gparted live cd, when you can install it from the repositories).

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
            Regarding "http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php" - are you saying its better to use this than to use the partitioner that comes on the Kubuntu install disk image?
            In a word yes. qtparted, to use another word, sucks.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I really appreciate this help. I'm quite excited to launch myself into the Linux world, and especially via Kubuntu, about which I've heard nothing but good things. I'm philosophically very committed to open source software, AND eager to leave Microsoft behind. Don't want 'em, don't need 'em!

So, the plan is to use the Kubuntu boot disk to set up initial partitions, and then use gparted per your advice to make further adjustments as opportunities present themselves. That's what you're advising, yes?

Thanks again.

Comment

What no one has warned about yet, is what will happen if after resizing your Windoze partition, you create additional partitions out of the unused 'new space.'

If all you do, initially, is to resize (make smaller) the existing Windoze partition, then you won't have any problems. If however, after resizing, you create new partitions, your /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst files are going to need adjusting, as the partition numbering will have been changed.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog's advice is correct.

Realistically, I tell new Linux installers to plan on doing it 3 times. (It took me about 5 .... :P). First time, you do it wrong. Second time, you do what you think is right, but discover differently. Third time, if you're both smart and lucky, you'll nail it.

Implied in this is that you have every bit of your important data safely backed up and sitting on the shelf where you can't hurt it.

Comment

Windows will probably complain about the file system when when you resize so just let it boot and fully start then shut it down it will fix it itself. Try not to look though you may hurt your eyes.

eriefisher
                    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

eriefisher is right.
                      defrag the win partition at least 3 times before resizing.

then take a gparted cd and resize. it will take some time depending on the size of your HD and partition size.
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                      X