This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Drivers

Hi, I am new to linux... and I just installed kubuntu on my laptop... I do not get any sound though.... neither midi or otherwise... So i am looking for drivers.... but i cant really tell what sound card i have... i would really like to avoid taking the laptop apart..... in the users manual it says:

Intel Azalia High Definition Audio Interface
    the driver i have for windows says it is a realtek brand.. something... and the version is 5.10 which does not give me a clue to the actual model I have... any help would be appreciated.
    thanks in advance

Re: Audio Drivers

Originally posted by p337
    but i cant really tell what sound card i have
    KInfoCenter should be able to tell you something about your soundcard...or you can use 'lspci | grep audio' or 'lspci -vv' on the console.

You might also find it useful to search the forums, there are some sound troubleshooting threads that might offer a solution.

A recent thread that discusses sound problems (among other things) is here:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2592.0

Comment

I have tried to install mp3 support according to the instructions given by your link as well as the directions given by the mp3 support faq at kubuntu.org. However, I keep receiving this error:

"There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages."

any thoughts?

Comment

OOH! Audio!

I scrounged google hard core for info on getting my audio to work. I found this tip:

go to Kmix and select the 'switches' tab look for 'external amplifier' there will (well, may) be a yellow light directly above it... single click that yellow light to turn off the external amplifier.

done and done.

Hope this helps someone else!

Comment

Working...
        X