This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would linux offer a better solution then

again, curiousity is getting to me, would linux help this poster to see a larger harddrive than 32gb

Would appreciate your assistance. I have a Dell Inspiration 1100 that needs hard disk repacement. It's running on 28 bit which limits it to 32 gigabyte. The faulty disk is 30 gigabyte. I can'y buy a disk that size. All newe drives are much larger. I DO NOT want to update the BIOS. I just want a replacement. My question:

If I install a larger disk will it only recognize the 30 gigabyte (which is fine with me) or it may cause other problems.

I would appreciate definitive answers. No guesses or maybys, please.
    thanks
    every day is a gift

Re: would linux offer a better solution then

The size would be a hardware limitation. I "think" you could over come this by partitioning the disc to several 30g partitions.
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

The user should call Dell at 1-800-357-3355 and inquire about:

Manufacturer Part# 6X762
      Dell Part# 6X762

This is a refurbished (by Dell) 30 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive. Based on my search just a second ago, it is going for $145.00
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

one sees why the poster is unhappy about buying a 30gb harddrive when larger ones are cheaper, would one for example be able to do dual boot with a 60gb split into 30/30 between windows and linux, or would linux with lots of smallish partitions work here, thanks

thanks anyway, I have a dell laptop too, I might now be tempted to try this too.
        every day is a gift

Comment

As was stated earlier in this thread, the size of a hard drive for any specific PC is limited by manufacturer and BIOS. Generally, if the manufacturer says HD size available 'up to x size' that's what you are limited to. Physical dimensions of a replaceable HD for a laptop isn't what's important. What the actual PC can use is.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thanks, that makes it clear, he is out of luck then, pity
            every day is a gift

Comment

Wait! The manufacturers don't always get things right when publicising HD limits and capacities as I discovered.

I had the same problem recently with my 2002 HP Omnibook 6000 laptop (PIII 600MHz, 256MB). One morning I turned it on, saw the S.M.A.R.T imminent failure warning and thought "uh oh!" .

HP's tech support centre in India said during a phone conversation the machine could only accept an 18GB drive at max. When I pointed out that the laptop had been shipped by them with a 20GB drive in the first place, the support officer then claimed I could "go up to 40GB but no further" lol...

With the help of people on http://www.techspot.com// I discovered that the laptop could use up to 160GB If I wanted. After that I ordered an 80GB drive which was recognised without any problems in the BIOS and within Win2K and Kubuntu.

My partitions are:

500MB for the diagnostic area including the MBR.
              5GB: Windows 2K
              10GB: Kubuntu
              2GB: Swap
              30: FAT32 partition
              27: FAT32 partition

Here's my original post on the matter: Max HDD capacity on PIII laptop http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=468580#post468580

If the poster is still unsure, the easiest thing to do is take the laptop to a computer shop, ask them to fit the drive and check that the BIOS and OS can see it properly.

(On a side note, I have a PII 233 desktop which has a BIOS limit of 8GB but yet works happily with a 40GB HDD and Win2k sees the whole drive - these things aren't always set in stone)
              "As long as they're going to steal software, we want them to steal ours." - Bill Gates on the Chinese.

Comment

Working...
              X