This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. laptop problem

First of all, i just wanna say hey all over here at the kubuntu camp. I have a user account over at the ubuntu forums that i check from time to time while messing with that distro, and thought i would come over here and check it out as well.
    I am not a linux person. first i'll just get that out of the way. I have grown up on the mac and windows front so learning the linux way of things has been an ambition, but not somthing i really persued at any length.
    I can get through the whole installation process for ubuntu and many other distro's, and i can get around in the os fine enough too, just a lot of the more intricate security/software configuring things you can do in linux go a bit over me.

Now, im here cause i found a link over on the Ubuntu forums for a guy who got linux to work on the same laptop im using. I have a HP TC4200 Tablet pc i want to try linux on. the page he wrote says there is a lot of ways to make linux work on it, but kubuntu worked pretty much from startup with all the hardware.
    dunno how accurate that is but i wanted to try it myself. starts just fine on my desktop. got into the live cd and messed around in kde without issue. hell, the networking on my nv650i worked off the live cd so i was pretty impressed.
    now, my laptop doesnt have a internal dvd drive. I have to pull the drive from my desktop to plug into my external hard drive enclosure to get an os on it. worked fine for installing windows, but it wont work with kubuntu for some reason. boots fine, gets to the menu fine. Even goes through a lot of the startup process, but after it compiles a big list of services, goes back to that loading bar, the screen goes blank with a cursor and doesnt do anything. no hdd activity, no dvd activity. just sits there flashing at me. if i ctrl alt del it, it shuts down linux and spits out the dvd. typing characters works, but i cant backspace ect. figured it was a terminal at first but doesnt do anything.

Any ideas? would love to get it to work. Says it found my wacom "since my tablet has a wacom digitizer screen on it" so im kind of excited to see linux on it. If i can find my dapper dvd ill try that as well, but ive read that getting ubuntu to work properly on that is a lot of work.
    XP Tablet Edition works just fine. once you service rape it. but would be nice to try somthing else.

Also, any recomendations for packages i might look at would be appreciated too. i explored this a little in dapper but need a refresher.
    My laptop just goes to school with me. I write all my class notes on it with windows journal and onenote *although i find onenote to be a very bloated program and im perfectly happy saving my daily notes as their own files for easy location later thanks* I chat on it of course with trillian *kopete/gaim is fine too* and watch a lot of anime on it.
    All the anime i download now is fansubbed and released in .h264 now so Ill need a decent codec pack too. does the CCCP come in a linux distro?
    also, if it exists, a tablet interface panel for linux is important.

Again, Nice to meet you all. Hope i can learn while im here and ultimatly be of use to somone.

Nick

Re: Hello all. laptop problem

alright. turns out it just doesnt wanna start x at all. any ideas what i can do?

Comment

I'm assuming that you do get to a CLI (command line) prompt. If so, you can reconfigure the xserver.

To reconfigure xserver (from the command line) type:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

did that, andI geta black and white desktop with an x cursor. ubunto started just fine, NP but no tablet or wifi . xubuntu not like intel graphics?

Comment

Working...
        X