This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 questions - NTFS-3g and video card

These two factors are crucial in my decision/option of using Kubuntu/Linux.

I would like to know:
    1) how NTFS-3g functions in Linux, how to install and how it works. Could anyone point me in the direction of how to install or explain how. I did search both here and the Ubuntu forums (in which there is a link to a very long thread) but the explanations sound complicated. Can I download from Synaptic and install from the respositories? Or how else, do I get it installed and working?

I really would like the writing abilities to NTFS partitions.

2) Nvidia 8600GT - does anyone know if this is usable in Kubuntu? I plan on building my new system or upgrading the old one (which would have Linux installed) and I think having this card in my machine would allow easier driver issues and installation of graphics (in Kubuntu/Linux). I think there are Linux drivers and it should work fine but I wanted it confirmed before I buy. I plan on using it in a Windows box but if it doesn't function how I like, I can upgrade my other system which will have a Linux distro installed. I am building a HTPC but would like both computers to have the capabilities. Also, I have an old ATI card in the current computer so upgrading it couldn't hurt.

Re: 2 questions - NTFS-3g and video card

As to your question concerning NTFS-3g. That's simple. The package ntfs-3g allows *ubuntu to read and write to a Windows NTFS formatted partition. Installing the package is very easy - you can do it through Adept Manager.

Search the forum for posts on your second question concerning Nvidia 8600GT. I know there are MANY posts about Nvidia cards.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt

2) Nvidia 8600GT - does anyone know if this is usable in Kubuntu?
      YES, on Feisty, with the nvidia-glx-new package, or with the Nvidia driver as installed with Envy.

NO, on Gutsy, at least as far as Bongo5HH has experienced: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...cseen#msg85898

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        As to your question concerning NTFS-3g. That's simple. The package ntfs-3g allows *ubuntu to read and write to a Windows NTFS formatted partition. Installing the package is very easy - you can do it through Adept Manager.

Search the forum for posts on your second question concerning Nvidia 8600GT. I know there are MANY posts about Nvidia cards.
        I didn't use Adept Manager. I want to get familiar with Synaptic before going to something else. I did install ntfs-3g and ntfs-config successfully using Synaptic (well, it appears successful - not sure how to confirm exactly). But, apparently, I cannot read or find my NTFS partition or the Windows partition for trying reading/writing. In KDE control center (will try the Command Line way eventually), I go to System Settings -> Network & Connectivity -> Sharing ->...File Sharing... but, I receive a msg that "SMB and NFS servers are not installed on this machine, to enable this module, the serves must be installed. OK."

Can anyone help explain how to access my NTFS partition so I can see if I can read (or write to) it?

I am used to going to Samba Server from being exposed to Debian but I cannot recall how it looks/works. I am even wondering if I'm going about this the correct way.

Some 'NTFS Configuration Tool' was added to the menu but does not start or do anything when it's selected.

There are several places in which a msg comes up, 'Changes in this section requires root access. Click the "Administrator Mode" button to allow modifications.' but I never get a chance to change to 'admin mode' (i.e. root). Administrator Mode remains 'greyed out.' I suspect this is a bug in Kubuntu? Sure seems buggy.

Comment

Your Windoze partitions, if you want to access them, need to be included in your fstab file for mounting. Are they? If they are, you should be able to see them within Konqueror and/or through System Menu | Storage Media

Post your /etc/fstab file so we can review your settings.

Comment

Can anyone help explain how to access my NTFS partition so I can see if I can read (or write to) it?
            1. Install fuse and ntfs-3g (not: ntfs-config) to your system and add the default user to the fuse group.
            2. Add an entry analogical (not: identical) to the following to your system's file system table (/etc/fstab).

Code:
            /dev/disk/by-id/usb-SWISSBIT-part1 /media/mickey ntfs-3g users,umask=000 0 0
            And again: device node and mount point have to be adapted in accordance to your own environment.

Comment

Too late, I already installed ntfs-config. Now what do I do?

My /etc/fstab:

more /etc/fstab
              # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
              #
              # -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
              #
              # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
              # Entry for /dev/sda9 :
              UUID=834fd7ce-838e-471e-b475-cd217ef9369a / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
              # Entry for /dev/sda1 :
              UUID=766C02756C023083 /media/sda1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
              # Entry for /dev/sda5 :
              UUID=1ABC21D0BC21A6EB /media/sda5 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
              # Entry for /dev/sda7 :
              UUID=0c5a1253-a901-4e15-bac3-8df472dbe86e /media/sda7 ext3 defaults 0 2
              # Entry for /dev/sda8 :
              UUID=6139855e-61c8-4958-8a3c-fe3d5879615a /media/sda8 ext3 defaults 0 2
              # Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
              UUID=54E0B955E0B93E54 /media/sdb1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
              # Entry for /dev/sdb2 :
              UUID=3e4b844d-39ec-4b50-a533-0887593ad26d /myfiles xfs defaults 0 2
              # Entry for /dev/sda6 :
              UUID=7a752475-aa56-4faf-aba4-76a9ef872d78 none swap sw 0 0
              /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I'm used to fstab looking more like:
              Here's an example of the contents of /etc/fstab:
              /dev/hda2 / ext2 defaults 1 1
              /dev/hdb1 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
              /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
              /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto rw,noauto,user,sync 0 0
              proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
              /dev/hda1 swap swap pri=42 0 0

OR from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab
              http://www.humbug.org.au/talks/fstab/fstab.html

I've messed mine up?!?

Comment

Too late, I already installed ntfs-config. Now what do I do?
                Polite: just don't even think of touching (read: using) it.
                More efficient: sudo apt-get --purge remove ntfs-config

I've messed mine [fstab] up?!?
                Yes and no:

1. From my experience, ntfs-config more often than not creates invalid entries.
                2. As for the UUID crap: that's merely some Ubuntu guys' quirk (- more details).

Comment

This is my pet peeve with Linux. I ran the command but /etc/fstab file is the same. So, what was I accomplishing removing ntfs-config? Am I supposed to reboot?

I read people's "solutions" to problems and issues but usually there is no added explanation WHY you're doing routine/command A. You get B result but don't know why. Even when something 'works', do people know what happened and why they did it? Also, I am told to install FUSE. What is that? There are several references to Fuse in the repositories so do I install all of them? There is fuse-utils and I have that and libfuse2 installed so far (therefore, two packages related to Fuse).

I'm not sure what removing ntfs-config has done to my system but hopefully, I can still retain read/write to NTFS.

Linux is frustrating for these reasons. I'm unsure how to do something, there are four or five methods given (without any reasons or explanations) and then there is nothing else added and you're at the mercy of the result.

Comment

You're frustration is not yours alone. One of the (many) experiences one is exposed to using Linux - especially if you are coming from Windoze - is the clash of ones 'expectations' compared to the actual results.

You could think of ones experience using Linux as a scientific experiment. You define the experiment, identify the expected results, test then compare the actual results you get.

This isn't a perfect analogy by any means. But a lot of the time, the best source of knowledge you 'personally' gain is through such tests. I've done it, using Linux as well as Windoze. I do however, note what I'm about to do, so that if it all goes to hell, I can back-track and undo any damage.

Comment

So, what was I accomplishing removing ntfs-config?
                      You just "kicked out" a (from my point of view useless tool. That's all.

I read people's "solutions" to problems and issues but usually there is no added explanation WHY you're doing routine/command A. You get B result but don't know why. Even when something 'works', do people know what happened and why they did it?
                      From my experience, more than 90 percent of users are simply not interested in explanations - all they want to get is "do this, do that" support ... I've been flamed more than once for deliberately not laying out every step, but "merely" pointing in the right direction, thereby forcing people to "learn to walk" - which obviously they didn't want to.

Be that as it may - I'll be glad to tell you about the "why" (as far as I know it ...)

Also, I am told to install FUSE. What is that? There are several references to Fuse in the repositories so do I install all of them?
                      In "command line terms", apt-get install fuse ought to suffice.

Further information on FUSE: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/

Hopefully, I can still retain read/write to NTFS.
                      With ntfs-3g (and fuse) installed and configured properly, you will 8)

Linux is frustrating for these reasons.
                      I wouldn't characterize the freedom to achieve everything you want as frustrating

I'm unsure how to do something, there are four or five methods given (without any reasons or explanations) and then there is nothing else added and you're at the mercy of the result.
                      And, in simplified terms, one of them is misleading, while the rest leads to the same result, but on different ways ...

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
                        I wouldn't characterize the freedom to achieve everything you want as frustrating
                        I will reply to the rest but just wanted to comment on this. I'm on a continuous merry go-round or tug-a-war with Linux. I recognize the distinct advantages but keep hitting a brick wall frustrating me to no end to the point I just want to give up. 'Been on the v erge of this at least twice. Now, a third time. Either you're a computer genius or you need to spend upon hours and hours (and... multiple this by infinite number of times) until you become a little more comfortable so that you are confident you can accomplish what you want in shorter periods of time or eventually reach your goal. Otherwise, you're pulling hair. I hate to defend Windows but even if you approach obstacles, some googling and a bit of time reading, you can figure something out. I think it takes less time. You might have to dig way harder to find something free and it's much harder to witness the inner workings of the operating system but things will 'work' somehow. It might be sloppy but someone wrote a driver for it.

I don't see how freedom is a factor when you are not achieving everything you want because you: 1) are confused and can't get it to work and 2) it just won't work.

I have tried:
                        k3b - normal-audio will not work. Googled.
                        Azureus - cannot figure out how to configure for static ip although a Static IP was configured correctly and is established in 'network interfaces' (IP Protocol setup). The router shows P2P program (Azureus) set for port and connection is established for a static ip address. The port for the p2p program was forwarded to a port in the router and is set in the actual program. But, I receive constant 'Warnings' (UPnP). Anyway, my point is these problems are constant. I cannot believe the number of people who say linux is so easy, ready for the desktop and give 'simple responses' and expect a newbie to automatically figure everything out. That's all I'll say now because it will only turn bitter.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Comment

Either you're a computer genius or you need to spend upon hours and hours (and... multiple this by infinite number of times) until you become a little more comfortable so that you are confident you can accomplish what you want in shorter periods of time or eventually reach your goal.
                          I'm definitely no genius - but I've started working with Linux a couple of years (not: weeks) ago (after having lost a complete raid array to a bug in Windoze NT, with which I had been working for several years on a professional level ... but I'm digressing.)

I hate to defend Windows but even if you approach obstacles, some googling and a bit of time reading, you can figure something out.
                          Provided Mickeysoft allows you to ...

it's much harder to witness the inner workings of the operating system
                          It's virtually impossible.

I cannot believe the number of people who say linux is so easy, ready for the desktop and give 'simple responses' and expect a newbie to automatically figure everything out.
                          Linux was never meant to be "easy". Period. - To really appreciate this operating system, you'll have to learn how the machine "thinks"; the Windoze "point & click" approach is not going to suffice ... metaphorically speaking, those used to a Chevrolet Avalanche are doomed to crash a Lamborghini LM2 - unless they really learn how to drive.

From my point of view, Linux is not and hopefully never will be a better Windoze - by contrast to the latter, though, Linux already is an operating system you could and should control in all details (instead of letting others control you ...).

Comment

Isn't this forum called 'help the NEW guy'?
                            Doesn't helping someone new to the system require step-by-step instructions on how to do things?
                            I can appreciate the long-term benefits of 'signposts' that help the user to learn things for themselves, but as a complete newbie (who needs to be able to DO things on the computer) it's so discouraging if nothing is ever, EVER, capable of being resolved in a reasonable timespan - maybe even frustrating enough to make one give up and go back to Mickeysoft!

I&#39;m only here so often because I&#39;m too blinking lazy to learn shell!

Comment

Originally posted by bernieszu

Doesn't helping someone new to the system require step-by-step instructions on how to do things?
                              Fair question. Probably it has as many answers as there are "new folk". Here are several that spring to my mind:

1. Not always -- lots of folks enjoy the "thrill of discovery" and seek only to be pointed toward the solution, so they can figure the rest of it out for themselves.

2. Actually there are quite a few rather fine-grained step-by-step guides already on the forum, covering a variety of topics -- here, for example.

3. "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and he is fed for life."

4. Beginning Ubuntu Linux, by Keir Thomas, is an excellent book with hundreds of pages of step-by-step guidance, for folks who require lots of step-by-step help.

5. To be effective, the (all-volunteer, totally uncompensated) folks who try to help newbies on this forum need to make the best use of their limited time by helping as many as possible, as opposed to sinking huge amounts time into individual situations where the new guy doesn't show much interest in helping himself -- at least that's the way I feel about it regarding my time. The Internet is just too full of Linux information to turn myself into a repeater of Google searches.

I hope those are responsive to the question!

Comment

Working...
                              X