X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

security

hey there
    im new to linux and tried several distro's.
    i noticed in fc4 there was a firewall,but i didnt like fc4 so i tried some more distro's,and found kubuntu .
    i really like this and i want to really make the Big step , but i have a few question's
    is it really true that there are nearly no viruses and ad spyware for linux?
    is a firewall neccesery and antivirus?
    is this distro safe, and how can i improve this ?
    i know these are quite a few question but iv google'd and found so much info some understandble and some the opposite, so im kinda confused :S

so if u guys have any good tip's and hint's im happy to listen and trie them

Thanks in advance

Re: security

General security:
    the default installation is in itself very secure...there are no servers open to the internet, there's a configured firewall running...and in kubuntu the 'root' account is disabled by default, which adds some protection as well.

This doesn't mean you can ignore security/safety issues completely, as it's possible to open up your computer to threats, for example if you install and run a poorly configured ssh server for remote logins.

A few things you should keep in mind (even in Linux):
    1. Use only strong passwords and keep them safe
    2. Only install software from trusted sources
    3. Only run public servers if you really need them, and if you do, make them as safe as you can (for example, allow connections only from a single address or selected range of addresses, use key-based authentication if possible etc.)
    4. Get into a habit of regular backups (also for hardware failures)

Firewall:
    There's a fully configured firewall built into the default intallation of kubuntu (and other linux distros)...If you need to check/adjust it's functionality with a GUI, 'guarddog' and 'firestarter' are two good alternatives for GUI firewall configurators. Of those, Firestarter is a little easier to get a hang of, and guarddog a bit richer on features. It's also good to notice that you don't have to have either of them (or any other tool) running constantly...the actual firewall starts up at boot and runs in the background.

Viruses and other malicious software:
    So far there aren't many viruses or malware that threaten a linux system. Partly because the inherent security of unix based systems offers protection against them, partly because writer's of such software tend to target the popular Windows systems (to maximize the effect their creations or for other personal reasons) and partly because various other reasons.

That said, installing software from trusted sources (like only official or well known repositories) is still a good policy to adopt on a linux system. There are also virus scanners available for linux (Clam AV seems to be among the most popular) that you can install. Mostly they are used to protect windows systems on the same network or to keep one's email attachments clean of viruses (Though windows viruses can't infect a linux system, you can still spread them by forwarding/sending infected email)

These are only some hints and tips...Linux Security HOWTO is a good resource for serious security needs:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO/

And as I said in the beginning, kubuntu standard installation is in general safe and secure for desktop use, certainly more so than the standard installation of Windows. :P

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
      [
      Firewall:
      There's a fully configured firewall built into the default intallation of kubuntu (and other linux distros)...If you need to check/adjust it's functionality with a GUI, 'guarddog' and 'firestarter' are two good alternatives for GUI firewall configurators. Of those, Firestarter is a little easier to get a hang of, and guarddog a bit richer on features. It's also good to notice that you don't have to have either of them (or any other tool) running constantly...the actual firewall starts up at boot and runs in the background.
      OK, that sounds good! I'm not planning on setting up remote login, nor installing from untrusted sources. Do I really need to fuss with guarddog or firestarter or fiddle my iptables?

Also, I did a search on this forum for "firewall" and turned up a post saying
      "If you think you don't need one just go to:
      http://scan.sygate.com/
      and run the tests."

Am I correct in assuming that the fully configured firewall you refer to is iptables, or is the following the case (from another post here):
      "Technical Term's
      Since Ubuntu doesn't run any daemons that listen to the outside world by default (the postfix install only listens on localhost) there's no need for a default firewall. The rationale is that if a user's got a need for installing a world-facing daemon, they'll be aware that they should configure a firewall/ACL for it too."

Thanks - Joel

Comment

Yep, I think your correct. Basically what you need to know is that the spyware that works for Windows likely won't work under linux. The virii likely won't work either. You don't need a firewall because no ports are open, and it is very safe, right out of your box. Though, when you install it, it's always good to update your installation with the latest and cool stuff, such as KDE 3.5 (Kubuntu comes with 3.4, you need to upgrade to 3.5 by adding a repository, search on this forum on how to do this)
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
        X