X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install applications

Hi,

I've tried Ubuntu and Kubuntu to see which one better fits my needs. I found that I like Kubuntu (KDesktop) more but...

With Ubuntu it's very easy to install additional Applications. The applicationmanager AND the packagemanager are easy to control and I can choose my applications as whole.
    In Kubuntu the packagemanager Adept ist the only tool to get applications installed and sorry, it's far from userfriendly.
    I added all aditional repositories and updated the package list. Then I tried to find my favourite apps (such as Eclipse and KDevelop) to install. I didn't find any of them at all. Only that damn list of (for newbies) cryptical pakages.

Is there no other way to install applications as whole?? A little bit like in Ubuntu?? Plz help!

Greetz,
    Cpt

Re: Install applications

I can understand Adept can be confusing at first...and the package list will easily overwhelm a new user. Adept is new software, user friendliness will probably improve over time (first time users would surely appreciate easy search for common software).

But don't get discouraged, Adept (and other advanced package managers like synaptic) are more versatile and powerful than simple software installers. And you'll master them in no time...and soon you'll be apt-getting from the console, anyway

But for starters...in Adept, use the quick filter to narrow down the list of packages...you can use 'kdevelop' or 'eclipse' as a filter and the package list isn't that intimidating anymore.

Now...if the software includes multiple packages (like eclipse for example), inspect the package list, there usually is a 'metapackage' that installs the essential packages needed to run the software (in the case of eclipse, it's 'eclipse-platform')...this might be all you need, if you wish, you can also install extra packages like plugins/documentation/development files depending on the software in question and your needs.

Of course there are other package managers (like Synaptic) you can install and use on kubuntu, but give adept a chance first.

Comment

I'll tried to find the packages you mentioned but I can't. I've activated every repository from the sources.list and made a "Fetch Updates".
      None of the packages I'm looking for were listed. Adept says there are 1275 packages available. I filtered for "kdevelop", "eclipse" and "celestia" without result.

Comment

They are all available in the universe repositories, so I guess there must be something missing from your repositories...there should be about 18.000 packages available with universe and multiverse enabled

Comment

Check out this excellent spot and see if your sources list looks like it.

http://www.psychocats.net/linux/sources.php

Should be of help.

Cheers

Lowey
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I followed the tut lowey23 linked in. For the first time I used "apt-get update" from console instead the button out of Adept. So I saw a problem which was hidden to me before: While trying to connect to the different repositories there were only two messages. Sometimes "Ign" (stands for "Ignored" I assume...) and "Err" (Could not find route to target).
            Same problem like I had trying Ubuntu. There I was able to set my proxyserver directly in Synaptic and then it worked.
            Here in Kubuntu I can't set a proxy in Adept. I set it in the "System-Settings" under "Connections"/"Proxy". Browsing the internet works fine.
            Is there an additional location I have to set the proxy for apt?

Comment

There's a thread on this in the ubuntuforums, with a few links.
              http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/...p/t-80260.html

Basically, Adept uses apt configuration for proxy settings instead of kde network settings.
              And not able to set proxy in Adept itself is a 'missing feature'

EDIT:
              Did you check if it started working in Adept, too, after you set the proxy in Synaptic?

Comment

It seems to me that installing Synaptic in Kubuntu might be your solution. Set up the proxy in Synaptic as you did in Ubuntu and you're ready to rock, right?

Perhaps it's easier said than done.

Comment

Working...
                X