This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loging in problems

I have been using Kubuntu for quite a while and i'm happy with it. Sadly, there has been a problem. I don't have much knowledge of the Kubuntu system but last night I left my copmputer on and when I came back this morning it got stuck so I restarted it and it all went normal until I reached the log in page. I put my username and password, all normal, then the screen went black and brought me back to the login page again. I am not sure why it is happening. Can anyone help me find out why?

Re: Loging in problems

man ,i got the same problem....We need a little help here...i think!!

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that you somehow corrupted your .kde file in /home/yourusername

.kde is a hidden file in your personal account which sets the kde configuration.

Boot into recovery mode, type startx at the prompt. Open konqueror and navigate to /home/yourusername activate hidden files in "view". Make a folder called "backups" copy your .kde file to there and rename it .kdeold (or whatever) then go back to your .kde file and delete the contents.

Reboot into your user and kde will "reinvent" itself.

If you have any important configs and adressbooks, emails etc. you can open konqueror again and navigate to /home/yourusername. Copy and replace all of your kmail, kontact, korganizer, amorak, etc. in .kde/share/apps from the old .kde to the new .kde/share/apps. Since you don't know which settings are corrupted I would just replace the stuff relating to your mail, kontacts, music etc.

If not the just leave it. You will have to "redecorate" your desktop to your liking.

Note: Eventhough one can normally leave linux running for ever it seems there is something in feisty that blocks the desktop if left alone for to long. It may have to do with the power settings but I am not sure.

Usully just doing Ctrl+Alt+backspace (logging out) and waiting until kde "finds" itself again should do the trick. Hardrebooting can screw things up :P

I hope this helps.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi, also quit new to ubuntu.

I installed ubuntu with GNOME first,... all was ok.
        Then I installed KDE, and all was ok as well....

But then after some days of playing and updating, I was not able to login (comes back to login screen each time).
        And this happended overnight, and is doing the same thing weather I'm changing to GNOME OR KDE session.
        I have 3 user accounts created, and none of them work anymore)

If I start as a user in failsafe mode, I get a terminal program without any window around it. from there I can still start many programs (like Konqueror, firefox, evolution, Konversation, ...) And they all work as they should (without a window frame around it).

The thing I found strange, is that neighter GNOME or KDE want to startup. so it should be something else then a local user setting right?
        I was more thinking about Xserver

Any more ideas?

Thanks a lot ....

Comment

Can you boot into recovery ode? If yes then type startx at the prompt when it finishes booting. If that works and you get into kde or gnome then your xorg is okay.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

boot in recovery is possible, I get to the non graphical login (that is called "terminal" right?).

Wether I log in as root or as user, the "startx" command gives me a 2-sec graphic screen (gray) with a mouse cursor and then returns to the terminal with some errors and warnings:
            __________________________________________________ _________
            (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
            (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
            The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
            > Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
            > Ignoring extra symbols
            Errors from skbcomp are not fatal to the X server
            (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannort open device /dev/input/wacom
            No such file or directory.
            Error opening /dev/input/wacom : Success
            Could not init from path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc, removing from list!
            Could not init from path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic, removing from list!
            Could not init from path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1, removing from list!
            FreeFontPaht: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; bixing.
            __________________________________________________ ________________

afther that i return to the root@PC001be:~#

Is this information helpfull to anyone?

Thanks a lot, (I'm getting desparte now ;-)

Brecht

Comment

This last particial error page I sent, seems to be the end of the logfile from Xorg.0.log.

I will try to send the other system log lifes I found, althought this might take to much place here (any other idea on how to post them here? Can I use attachments?)

Thanks,
              Brecht

Comment

Working...
              X