This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot from Kubuntu CD Insanely Slow

So I'm trying to install Kubuntu on my PC, because I hate how slow windows is. I downloaded the CD image, and booted up from that. But it is excrutiatingly slow. Im talking, I move the mouse and wait a few minutes for the computer to actually recognize that the mouse was moved. When I finally opened the install program, i gave it a good 2 hours to load before I gave up. Is this supposed to happen? If I ever actually get it installed, is it going to be this slow running at full speed? Someone please help me.

Here are the specs on my computer:
    Dell Dimension 2400
    Windows XP SP2 installed now
    2.2 ghz intel pent. 4
    256 megs ram
    intel extreme graphics

is this set up not powerful enough? what am I doing wrong? is there anyway to just run the install program without completely loading Kubuntu?

Re: Boot from Kubuntu CD Insanely Slow

Originally posted by atoepfer
    2.2 ghz intel pent. 4
    256 megs ram
    Processor is more than up to par. But your RAM really should be upgraded. When you run the LiveCD - which you are doing in order to get to the point where you would select to actually install - everything is being run from the CD and in a RAM Disc created out of available RAM. I'm almost certain that the LONG wait time you are experiencing is entirely due to the small amount of RAM you have.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

cpu athlon xp Barton 2500+
      512 MB RAM
      VGA FX 5700
      hdd 80GB@7200 RPM

i'm instaling for 1,5 Hours. should i wait more?
      i've looked at KSysGuard and the cpu is 94%full and as proces ubiquity is using all the cpu
      i'm using kubuntu 7.04

hdd led and cd-rom led doesn't blink from couple of minutes after install started. it says installing system from then

Comment

Depending on which disc you downloaded you could do a text install. It's much faster and simpler in my opinion. You wouldn't be using all your resources to run the live environment. Still if your low on ram the system will be slower. I believe it's the alternate cd that has this option.

eriefisher
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

OK, thank for answer. but this mean that is installing ins;t it.... my concern is that the install didn't stop.. or error or something. i can still use the comp (I'm writing this message from it).
          the bottom line is, if i wait more.. in the end the system will install?

Comment

It sounds like the system is hung for some reason. Press <CTRL+ESC> and see if you can kill any process using up cpu/ram.
            ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

error kde system guard
              insufficient permission to kill process id ... i tried to kill ubiquity

Comment

yesterday after 2 hours of "installing system" i decided to close computer.
                now i turned on and surprise! the kubuntu is installed and working

Comment

Originally posted by stefff
                  yesterday after 2 hours of "installing system" i decided to close computer.
                  now i turned on and surprise! the kubuntu is installed and working
                  Weird.

But yeah, you are most likely experiencing slow speed due to your amount of ram. You should try a text install.

Comment

Working...
                  X