This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Get Beryl To Autostart?

Hey, have been learning Linux since Sunday and loving it got all sorts of shiny bits installed

However,

How does one set Beryl to autostart on Kubuntu startup?

I noticed there is a method for Ubuntu, however the route to the settings does not seem to be the same for KDE and I cannot find where to add it to the startup list

A little runthrough would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Re: How To Get Beryl To Autostart?

There's a hidden folder in your /home/uber directory called .kde, and inside that one is one called Autostart. Put a copy of your Beryl icon in there and you're .... uber - autostarting!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      There's a hidden folder in your /home/uber directory called .kde, and inside that one is one called Autostart. Put a copy of your Beryl icon in there and you're .... uber - autostarting!

and I do this how? I never even knew there was an uber folder
      Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

There is usually no uber folder .

Dibl was talking about your home folder, the place that you get if you click on the computer icon in the bottin bar and after that on the house icon.

It's usually called like the user name and it is a subfolder of home, so as your nick is uber... well...

In unix-world, folder paths start with "/" no a letter... so /home/uber will the something like the windows folder c:\documents and settings\uber\

I hope that I don't make it harder to understand...

Javier.

Comment

OK, smaller steps ...

1. Open Konqueror. On the opening screen are 6 choices, and you want the first one which is "Home Folder", so click that.

2. With your home folder in view, your default view does not show you the so-called hidden files and folders (it is not a terribly apt name, as you're about to see).

3. On the top-line menu, the third item from the left is "View". Click that, and when it is open, put an "x" in front of the item called "Show Hidden Files".

4. Now you get to see that which was so carefully concealed from your prying uber-eyeballs!

5. Find the folder named ".kde" and open it. Inside it you can find a folder called "Autostart". That's the one where you want to paste a copy of the Beryl Manager icon. Or, if you have your Linux reference manual in front of you, you want to create a symbolic link to the executable file located at /usr/bin/beryl-manager.

Now, here's a dirty little secret about Beryl, at least on my system. In Kubuntu, if I fail to right-click the Beryl icon and choose "Quit", before shutting down my system, it will fail to autostart on the next bootup. It doesn't have this problem in Ubuntu/Gnome, so I dunno what your results will be. Good luck with it! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            OK, smaller steps ...

1. Open Konqueror. On the opening screen are 6 choices, and you want the first one which is "Home Folder", so click that.

2. With your home folder in view, your default view does not show you the so-called hidden files and folders (it is not a terribly apt name, as you're about to see).

3. On the top-line menu, the third item from the left is "View". Click that, and when it is open, put an "x" in front of the item called "Show Hidden Files".

4. Now you get to see that which was so carefully concealed from your prying uber-eyeballs!

5. Find the folder named ".kde" and open it. Inside it you can find a folder called "Autostart". That's the one where you want to paste a copy of the Beryl Manager icon. Or, if you have your Linux reference manual in front of you, you want to create a symbolic link to the executable file located at /usr/bin/beryl-manager.

Now, here's a dirty little secret about Beryl, at least on my system. In Kubuntu, if I fail to right-click the Beryl icon and choose "Quit", before shutting down my system, it will fail to autostart on the next bootup. It doesn't have this problem in Ubuntu/Gnome, so I dunno what your results will be. Good luck with it! 8)
            Thanks

think I've done it, going to reboot and check \o/

Comment

Woop, sorted tah!

Comment

Uber-hooray!

Don't forget to "quit" it before you shut down, or it might not auto-start next time.

Comment

Working...
                X