Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daper Drake Kubuntu - Sound Blaster 64 ISA (really new issue)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daper Drake Kubuntu - Sound Blaster 64 ISA (really new issue)

I am testing differences between the live cd versions of ubuntu and kubuntu daper drake editions, prior to a full install and replacement of windows millennium on a hard disk.

With ubuntu following the hardware guide and several posts I was able to get, very simply in fact, the gnome desktop to make sounds and recognize my isa sound blaster 64 card and make sounds without even changing my bios pnp settings.

I REALLY REALLY like KDE for a number of reasons, but for the life of me, even following the various posts EXCEPT the bios change, I have not gotten KDE to make sounds. I hear the crackle an pop of my sound card being initialized when I do the modprobe, but still there is no sound when I go to test various action sounds in KDE settings.

I strongly doubt this is the BIOS issue because I can use alsamixer and actually hear the volume increase. So, the card is talking to alsa but KDE is just being a bitch.

Is this the case: has KDE just moved past any compatibility with sound blaster ISA 64 cards, even if alsa is working with it?

ubuntu (gnome) is really looking good at this point for a full install and I want someone to convince me that I am just missing some configuration parameter in KDE.

Sorry if I am long winded, I just want to cover all the tracks.

Re: Daper Drake Kubuntu - Sound Blaster 64 ISA (really new issue)

Sound issues abound with KDE, and nobody (so far) has provided a good, clear answer as to why. Many bug reports on this. Many tweaks that work for some and not others.

One thing you might consider is installing Ubuntu (Gnome), then, installing the KDE Desktop on top of Gnome.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't know why I would want to install a distro with a desktop version that doesn't recognize my hardware when another distro with a different desktop version does.

I'm thinking gnome. Although I am still hopeful for some hint or clue what I could try with KDE.

I kind of detect a little bloat and lack of real hardware support with KDE. There are tons of settings in KDE, and it is a nicer look and feel but I am discovering KDE is a bit bloated and vaporware like. You can point and click til your blue in the face and find you stuff just doesn't work with it and settings aren't global, even though there is kernel level support for the very same hardware (or at least a config file that loads and does something).

Another aspect is printer support, the desk jet support is virtually non-existant with KDE and I can gaurrantee you there are more deskjets out there in comparison to laser jets. I will probably start a new thread about once I get some real insight on this sound issue.

Comment

I understand the frustration and you are partially right.
        Don't start the thread, don't waste your time, don't tear your hair off with this, just try to use the system the way it is. Ubuntu has no power over what is done in KDE.org, our distro uses what they release, with some cosmetic adjustments here and there.
        I am a user of KDE since version 1 was beta, and believe me, many bugs perpetuate from that time, many annoyances, thousands and thousands of flames in countless forums. The most common answer is: you don't like it, go use something else (hey! Linux = Freedom!).
        As for the differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu, don't believe that it's just KDE, Ubuntu is far more developed, many more people are working on it, Kubuntu has less effort on it just like Xubuntu has less than Kubuntu. And I am not saying that the support is bad, it is just that the primary distro is Ubuntu.
        Once you accept it, you will find Kubuntu to be an exceptional distro compared to how much work is put on the "rich" cousin.
        Good luck.

Comment

Fair enough. I can understand and accept all of your points. Additionally, it's not like kubuntu, ubuntu, gnome, or KDE has all the money and resources behind it like Windoze. I guess for a free product it is well beyond what anyone could really ask for.

I will probably go with the Gnome version (ubuntu) just because it is that much more developed and most of my hardware works with it. I'll keep an eye on the kubuntu version and see how it develops over time.

I will check this thread occassionally for any additional input from someone that might help with this KDE sound issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mister_lister
            I will probably go with the Gnome version (ubuntu) just because it is that much more developed and most of my hardware works with it.
            And that, is the most important reason for choosing a Linux distro in the first place. While one my like how another version of Linux 'looks,' that is far less important than having one that works with what you have.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X