Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to install Kabuntu to a new hard drive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to install Kabuntu to a new hard drive?

With new hd in and the Kabuntu disc in the cd drive, when I turn computer on black screen says no operating system detected. What needs to be done?

Re: Is there a way to install Kabuntu to a new hard drive?

Go into BIOS and make sure the CD ROM drive is first in the boot sequence.

Comment

What is BIOS?

Comment

When you first turn on your PC, you will/should see a message at the bottom/top of the screen telling you to press a specific key [esc, F2, ...] to enter setup/BIOS. That's the key you press while the message is displayed to get you into the PCs BIOS, which is were a number of settings are configured that controll how/what your PC can do. One of the settings will be boot order - what devices to look at, in order, for a bootable system. You change that setting to reflect that your CD is first in the list, followed next by your hard drive.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just as a addition to what has already been said, you will find where to change the boot preference in 'bios features'. You may need to access bios by pressing the 'del' or 'f2' key - each bios is a bit different for access depending on the version and computer make and model.

By the way the install is easy to start but might be a little threating to a person that doesn't know how to access bios in the first place. Go for it but you might need to do some more research on how to actually set up the file system and other features.

Just go for it. You can always use your windows xp install disk to wipe the drive again and start over.

Linux is a bit more complicated to install than windows but it can be much more dependable and fun (although time consuming at first).

Comment

I have tried all the suggestions to no avail There is no info on how to get into BIOS when I first start my computer. I have pressed F2, F12, DEL, Esc, and the suggested combos. What now! Is there another way to get it?

Comment

If you know the model of your motherboard you should be able to find out via a web search.

Also, on my PC I have to repeatedly tap the key to get the BIOS, the time during which the boot process allows it is very quick. I start tapping pretty much as soon as the boot process starts.

Comment

Working...
              X