This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed 7.04: <problem solved!>

Hi everyone, this is my first post and hopefully I'll be a regular around here.

I've installed 7.04 onto my laptop and so far I'm very impressed! With trial & error, experimentation and perseverance I've managed to find my way around and solve most problems. If I could master DOS then there's no reason why Linux should be difficult....

However despite reading the forums along various Unix, Linux and KDE books there's a few issues I need help with.

One of my FAT32 partitions and the floppy drive repeatedly unmount themselves after rebooting, no matter how many time I go into the settings and remount and re-enable the drives. I read guides on mounting floppy drives and FAT32 partitions but the solutions failed (I can post the results from Konsole if required).

To get on line, I have to boot into my Win2k partition because the network manager in Kubuntu recognises my Atheros card but then quits at 57% during the IP config stage. According to one of the posts on here, Atheros compatibility is broken in Kubuntu currently. Does this mean the best solution is to use an ethernet wired connection for the meantime?

Sorry for the long post, if anyone has any suggestions or pointers I'd really appreciate the help.

Jay
    &quot;As long as they&#39;re going to steal software, we want them to steal ours.&quot; - Bill Gates on the Chinese.

Re: Installed 7.04: need some guidance as the solutions aren't working

Welcome.

As for the drives goto>>kmenu>>system settings>>Advanced tab>>disk and file systems>>click administrator mode>>password.

Select the drive in question and click new or modify and choose the appropriate info for that disc(mount point-file system-etc).

As for wifi, this may help.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

When you are in disks & filesystems as described below you can right click on your fat32 partition and edit in admiin mode. Activate: start at boot (or something like that, mine is in german) and your set.

I think the floppy drive is always unmounted by default at boot.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Floppy drives as with cd/dvd drives only mount when media is present. You will be asked what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
          When you are in disks & filesystems as described below you can right click on your fat32 partition and edit in admiin mode. Activate: start at boot (or something like that, mine is in german) and your set.

I think the floppy drive is always unmounted by default at boot.

Originally posted by eriefisher
          Floppy drives as with cd/dvd drives only mount when media is present. You will be asked what to do with it.
          Originally posted by eriefisher
          Welcome.

As for the drives goto>>kmenu>>system settings>>Advanced tab>>disk and file systems>>click administrator mode>>password.

Select the drive in question and click new or modify and choose the appropriate info for that disc(mount point-file system-etc).

As for wifi, this may help.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs
          Thanks a lot for all the feedback, the FAT32 partition now mounts at bootup everytime My wireless card is the Netgear WG511T (Atheros Super-G AR5212) which I bought because it was on the WifiDocs compatible list. However the Network manager quits connecting at 57%.

I'm going to run through the troubleshooting checklist from the WifiDocs to see if there's a remedy on there

Thanks again,

Jay
          &quot;As long as they&#39;re going to steal software, we want them to steal ours.&quot; - Bill Gates on the Chinese.

Comment

Do forum search, I'm sure you will get several hits on the 511. I use the WG111 v2 and it worked out of the box.

Comment

I've done a forum search, came up with quite a few results similar to my own predicament and used the linked troubleshooting guides http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082946.0 http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085413.0
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2&page=1&pp=10

but no avail.

Knetwork stalls at 28% and closes, usually it cannot locate the router unless I type in the router name from manual config it is listen as "hidden"(even though It's not and can be seen ordinarily from Win2k and the supplied Netgear connection wizard). The functionality is very very minimal: there is no option to make a scan for new routers within the manager, so I've had to do this from Konsole instead.

Setting up the card to connect During repeated attempts to connect, the Knetwork manager will often crash and then Konsole has to be used to restore it.

All security/encryption on the router is turned off and I'm able to connect from Windows flawlessly with my card (and a spare one) and with other laptops using my card(s), so I know my hardware is not at fault here through this process of elimination, nor is it WEP/WPA issue.

From what I've read, some people have found success by reverting to older versions of the OS. Any suggestions, because I've tried almost everything?

Jay

Comment

Re: Installed 7.04: need some guidance... &lt;success!&gt;

Hey everyone, just when I was on the brink of conceding defeat and giving up, on a whim I booted into 7.04 to have another try at getting online with my wireless card. Surprise surprise, I was connected on my first go and I'm able to surf!

I'm so happy about this after days of frustration that It's unbelievable, I'm using Konqueror to access the forum and type this update. Within seconds I was able to sign into my MSN Messenger account using Kopete and talk to my friends.

I guess the moral of the story is that persistence pays.

Now that I'm online in Kubuntu, I have a question: Windows (any version) is notoriously vulnerable "out of the box" whilst online and even with Zone Alarm etc the user still has to exercise vigilance. I know that the Linux system is far more robust, but I am I in danger right now of being port scanned etc, do I need to implement some sort of firewall system, or does the OS take care of that for you automatically?

Jay

P.S: I've noticed that Kubuntu utilises a superior use of my laptop's ATI hardware than Win2K: colours, hues, images and graphics look more vivid, I wonder why.

Comment

Re: Installed 7.04: &lt;problem solved!&gt;

Now that I'm online in Kubuntu, I have a question: Windows (any version) is notoriously vulnerable "out of the box" whilst online and even with Zone Alarm etc the user still has to exercise vigilance. I know that the Linux system is far more robust, but I am I in danger right now of being port scanned etc, do I need to implement some sort of firewall system, or does the OS take care of that for you automatically?
                  See:
                  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

Comment

Working...
                  X