Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not able to install with those instructions.

Originally posted by Snowhog
    Until you install Kubuntu, attempting to do what you did is going to fail.
    Sure? On "real" live systems (like Knoppix), you're able to install to the live system - albeit on a temporary base only, that is (unless "tweaked" otherwise, but I'm digressing ...).

Originally posted by icm320
    E: Couldn't find package sun-java5-jre
    I doubt that you're accessing Ubuntu's "multiverse" repository - where the packages in question are to be found (see here) ... please search the forums on how to proceed - or post the (live) system's feedback to

Code:
    more /etc/apt/sources.list | grep -v '#' | grep 'deb'

Comment

Re: Installing Java in Firefox on Kubuntu 7.04

Thanks alot for the info!

An article I read said try running off the live CD for a week or two before bothering to install any flavor of linux as a first time user, I think I'm gonna bypass this a bit because I won't know if kubuntu is for me until I see whether or not I manage to get a few programs running.

So a good bit of info for others..... This instruction only works when you have kubuntu installed

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi, pals.
        I think all of this may work well in 32 bits (K)Ubuntu. In the 64 bits version, however, it's another story. I managed to install a series of stuff, from the klash/gnash flash animation viewers to some java things (trough Synaptic and Adept) that the repository offered me when searching for Java-like utils. But is not straightforward, at least for a newbie like me!
        Poseidon GNU/Linux 64 & 32 bits
        GNU/Linux user #451206
        (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

Installing via apt-get seems to be the path of lowest pain, but how are
          you supposed to accept the license agreement they include??
          Registered Kubuntu User #17173...and proud of it! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzalo Velasco C.
            Hi, pals.
            I think all of this may work well in 32 bits (K)Ubuntu. In the 64 bits version, however, it's another story. I managed to install a series of stuff, from the klash/gnash flash animation viewers to some java things (trough Synaptic and Adept) that the repository offered me when searching for Java-like utils. But is not straightforward, at least for a newbie like me!
            Did you finally manage to install java on 64 bit version ? I am running 64-bit Kubuntu 7.10, I have managed to get Skype working as well as Flash on Firefox (64-bit), but java is just not working in Firefox. I have installed sun-java6-jre but sun-java6-plugin is not available. Or should I search it in another source ?
            Kubuntu user since August 2007&nbsp; <br /><br />CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, E6550-2,33GHz,1333MHz,4MBL2 BOX<br />RAM : DDR 2, 2x 512 MB . 800MHz . CL 5,0&nbsp; Kingston<br />VGA : GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, SilentFX, GDDR3, 2xDVI, PCI-E<br />Karmic Koala 32-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanp
              Originally posted by Gonzalo Velasco C.
              Hi, pals.... I managed to install a series of stuff, from the klash/gnash flash animation viewers to some java things (through Synaptic and Adept) that the repository offered me when searching for Java-like utils....
              Did you finally manage to install java on 64 bit version ? I am running 64-bit Kubuntu 7.10, I have managed to get Skype working as well as Flash on Firefox (64-bit), but java is just not working in Firefox. I have installed sun-java6-jre but sun-java6-plugin is not available. Or should I search it in another source ?
              Yes, I have flash in Firefox... but did not try Skype yet.
              Good luck!
              GNU/Linux user #451206
              (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

[quote=Gonzalo Velasco C. ]

Yes, I have flash in Firefox... but did not try Skype yet.
                Good luck!
                Flash is OK but java is another thing. Is java working in your Firefox ?
                Kubuntu user since August 2007&nbsp; <br /><br />CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, E6550-2,33GHz,1333MHz,4MBL2 BOX<br />RAM : DDR 2, 2x 512 MB . 800MHz . CL 5,0&nbsp; Kingston<br />VGA : GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, SilentFX, GDDR3, 2xDVI, PCI-E<br />Karmic Koala 32-bit

Comment

Flash is OK but java is another thing. Is java working in your Firefox ?
                  Gee! Sorry.
                  Well, I managed to open something in Java (virtual keyboard) but when trying to use Kubuntu CRASHED :-( Nice, hu!? And I say to win users this is stable!
                  GNU/Linux user #451206
                  (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

Originally posted by harlequinade
                    Installing via apt-get seems to be the path of lowest pain, but how are
                    you supposed to accept the license agreement they include??
                    When the license agreement is displayed in Terminal, press 'tab' to change focus to the <OK> part at the bottom and then press enter.

Comment

Working...
                    X