This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with dual boot

Ok I'm completely lost from all of the tutorials I've read. Right now I have windows xp installed and I downloaded the kubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386 iso I burned the iso and succesfully booted from the disk and liked the OS, so now what should I do to install kubuntu in a new partition on the same drive as windows to dual boot? I keep reading about Grub and Lilo but I have no idea what those are, I know I should defrag the drive and resize my windows partition after I do that am I able to just boot from the kubuntu disc and use the install application on there? I would really appreciate the help as I am pretty lost, thanks!

Re: Help with dual boot

Yes, defrag, shrink the Windows partition down, then make a partition for Kubuntu. (Some people make two partitions for Kubuntu, one for the root files and one for their personal data files called /home). That would also be the time to arrange that hard drive the way you want it: Windows, then Kubuntu, then extra space in case later you want a FAT32 data partition, etc. I.e., leave some space.

Yes, you can use the partitioner included with the Kubuntu installer. Although, many people instead prefer to use GParted Live CD to do their partitioning.
    GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php.
    (free download)

Here’s a step-by-step How-To that spells out your options, short and sweet, about installing Kubuntu after Windows is installed (Windows is usually on the first partition of that first hard drive, as it sounds your is).
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

(There's many good, standard references at the end of that How To, also, especially "bigpond.")

Really, although there are some basic details you’ll run into, you should have no major problems.

You might get some opinions here about sizes. For example, some will advise 10 GB for Kubuntu, some will advise 30 GB, most of it for your personal data /home (documents, photos, music, etc.). That variable is up to you. That’s another reason to leave some extra empty space on your hard drive.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Isn't Gparted included in 7.04 install disk? Not as an installable program, but during the install routine its self. I remember seeing and executing something very similar to gparted last few times I installed. It could even resize partitions and change file structures.
      Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Yes, GParted is included under System Administration tools, which is pretty cool. At the same time, everyone I know is also keeping a copy of the GParted Live CD on hand as you can boot from it. Nice to have both options.

GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
        (info & free download)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X