This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Connection Problem: Konqueror OK, Filezilla can't connect

I recently installed samba and tried to set up a home network. Anyhow, now I can't use Filezilla or Opera to access the internet (they worked fine before). Konqueror, Adept, Akregator, Automatix and Firefox still connect with no problem. I think I've somehow messed up my networking configuration that only affects Filezilla and Opera, but I'm no expert.

It's not a really serious thing, just annoying because I liked using Filezilla and Opera, although it seems Konqueror will also do what they do.

I have a DSL modem connected to a Linksys router which connect my Kubuntu computer and another computer (WXp) to the net. When I try to connect to the router (to check the configuration) using Konqueror, I get a message saying the connection is broken and I can't access it. When I use Opera (which can't access anything on the net like Konqueror can), access to the router works fine and I can see all it's settings (its a Voip ata also).

Under Network Settings in the System Settings program it says my eth0 is enabled with DHCP and has an IP address. Under the Domain Name System tab, I removed something from the Static Hosts list but I can't remember what it was (maybe that's important?).

The avahi-daemon has been turned off (from 1 to 0) but the avahi-dnsconfd is now starting because I manually turned it on.

(I don't know if all that just made things worse...)

I've searched lots forums like for Kubuntu and Ubuntu but haven't found anything that fixes this.

If anyone has any idea of how I can get Filezilla and Opera back connected to the internet, I would really appreciate it. I've never had any network trouble with Kubuntu before this.

Re: Internet Connection Problem: Konqueror OK, Filezilla can't connect

Originally posted by Tim Hodkinson
    removed something from the Static Hosts list but I can't remember what it was
    <lecture mode>
    You shall not play around with stuff you are not yet versed in.
    If you decide to "play havoc" anyway, take notes of your deeds.
    </lecture mode>

You may, however, show us the remainders, i.e. the results from:

Code:
    more /etc/hosts
    more /etc/hostname
    more /etc/resolv.conf

Comment

/etc/hostname

Code:
      tim-desktop
      /etc/resolve.conf

Code:
      # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

nameserver 192.168.15.1
      /etc/hosts has 10500 lines in it because I added a hosts file for website blocking to it, here's the first 10 lines:
      Code:
      127.0.0.1 localhost
       localhost
       ad.a8.net
       asy.a8ww.net
       [url]www.aaa-livedoor.net[/url] [url]www.abcsearcher.com[/url] abc-search.info
       [url]www.abx4.com[/url] [url]www.acezip.net[/url] phpadsnew.abac.com
       a.abnad.net
       b.abnad.net
       c.abnad.net d.abnad.net
       e.abnad.net
      I remember changing my hostname during my networking "configuring", but I changed it back to what's seen above, which is what it was originally.

Comment

nameserver 192.168.15.1
        Are you running a local name server

the first 10 lines
        ... of which most are invalid (reference)

Comment

I don't know what a local nameserver is. The hosts file was a download to do adblocking. It said the listed domains would be blocked because they would be resolved to the local domain.http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The nameserver listed is the Default Gateway assigned by my router, I believe.

Comment

For comparison, following excerpts from my main system's configuration:

Code:
            # /etc/hosts
            127.0.0.1 localhost loopback
            192.168.110.1  FREYJA FREYJA.FAMILY
            192.168.110.2  MAHAB  MAHAB.FAMILY
            192.168.110.9  NELLY  NELLY.FAMILY
            192.168.110.11 KETCH  KETCH.FAMILY
            192.168.110.12 FEISTY FEISTY.FAMILY
            192.168.110.13 GUTSY  GUTSY.FAMILY

# /etc/resolv.conf
            nameserver 208.67.222.222
            nameserver 208.67.220.220
            domain FAMILY
            Reference: An Intro To Linux

Comment

I cleaned up my /etc/hosts file and reduced it to just
              Code:
              127.0.0.1 localhost
              and that solved it!

I guess I must have messed up my hosts file (should have made a backup...) and that didn't bother Konqueror, Firefox or the other programs, only Filezilla and Opera.

I guess it had to be a DNS problem because Opera would display Google if I pasted the IP address in the address bar, but not when I entered "google.com".

Thanks UnicornRider for your help!

Comment

In order to block those parasite sites, what you could have added to /etc/hosts is this:

Code:
                127.0.0.1 a.abnad.net
                127.0.0.1 b.abnad.net
                127.0.0.1 c.abnad.net
                etc.pp. - you get the idea

To resolve the DNS problem, however, updating /etc/resolv.conf as follows should do:

Code:
                nameserver 208.67.220.220

Comment

I guess (I do a lot of guessing...) in a way it wasn't really a DNS problem so much as a hosts file problem.

It's funny, I upgraded the hosts file to the latest version at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and it has the same syntax of "127.0.0.1 parasite.com" as you suggested my original one should have had. I don't know how I could have removed all those references to the localhost, but something I did seems to have messed it up so bad that Opera kept resolving to the localhost for everything and stopped there. Konqueror handles it differently, I guess, because it never seemed to have affected it.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem, just my 2 cents:
                    Originally posted by UnicornRider
                    nameserver 192.168.15.1
                    Are you running a local name server

Could be a community network that's connected over single IP and is running their own DNS server. Or a DNS-relay-capable modem router...
                    my /etc/resolv.conf:
                    Code:
                    nameserver 195.146.128.60

I guess (I do a lot of guessing...) in a way it wasn't really a DNS problem so much as a hosts file problem.

It's funny, I upgraded the hosts file to the latest version at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and it has the same syntax of "127.0.0.1 parasite.com" as you suggested my original one should have had. I don't know how I could have removed all those references to the localhost, but something I did seems to have messed it up so bad that Opera kept resolving to the localhost for everything and stopped there. Konqueror handles it differently, I guess, because it never seemed to have affected it.
                    So it's not DNS - I pasted the hosts file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ - you can see the hosts file structured, names sorted by category, company, etc... yet when I opened my hosts file now, there was 127.0.0.1 at the beginning and ALL the names behind it... Something messed it up.. I'll try again and write-protect the thing if I have to (I did that on windows -no more browser hijacks ) and post how it went.
                    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person who's had this host file problem.

I've switched over to Firefox and I use the adblocker they have along with the fiterset automatic update. It works very well (unless you want to use a different browser than Firefox) and gets rid of almost every ad, too. I miss Konqueror, though. You could do almost everything with that browser. It even makes for a decent dual-pane FTP client.

Comment

Yeah, I hear this AdBlock is pretty good for the job. For me, as die-hard Opera user, no dice, the hosts file redirection just roxx. For anything that doesn't get blocked with it, there's Content blocker... Anyway, so you didn't try any other host file? I'm looking at a script that downloads (updates) hosts file from http://hostsfile.mine.nu.nyud.net:8080/ - the site claims it's tested under linux, so I'll give it a whirl, reboot and see if Opera and Firefox are borked again. Also, elinks and kopete seemed to be not affected...

EDIT: well that's cute - the script doesn't work! oh well, at least I got the address and this hosts file seems to work... cheers

UPDATE: that hosts file sucks!!! It does work, but blocks far too many legitimate hosts - isohunt, live365, lastfm...
                        Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Working...
                        X