X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Administrator Login

hi all

i just migrated my pc to kubuntu linux. installation was loads easier than win xp.

however, i seem to have problems with the administration rights. the first time i logged in, i was able to change into "administrator mode" in system settings. now i cannot do that anymore.
    my password is 100% correct, but the items i would like to modify remain inactive -> no access. if i type a wrong password, i receive the bad login message.

is there a trick to receiving rights in "administrator mode"?

thanks, i am sure it's a newbie-problem.

cheers

chruesmel

[img][/img]

Re: Administrator Login

Originally posted by chruesmel
    hi all

i just migrated my pc to kubuntu linux. installation was loads easier than win xp.

however, i seem to have problems with the administration rights. the first time i logged in, i was able to change into "administrator mode" in system settings. now i cannot do that anymore.
    my password is 100% correct, but the items i would like to modify remain inactive -> no access. if i type a wrong password, i receive the bad login message.

is there a trick to receiving rights in "administrator mode"?

thanks, i am sure it's a newbie-problem.

cheers

chruesmel

[img][/img]
    Which password are you using? You should be using the password you assigned and enter when you login. Also, whenever "root" (administrator) access is required for a certain action, it will ask for that same password.

For example: Say your login password is "happy". Whenever root access is required and a password is asked for, type in "happy".

Regards.

Comment

I sort of have the same problem, but in my case I never logged into my root account. Also, I don't get a request to access administrator mode with a password, sudo responds with the error 'error- KDE su'.

Comment

I had this problem. I didn't even bother troubleshooting it though, I just reinstalled Kubuntu. Sorry I can't help.
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

in a konsole write

sudo kcontrol
          or
          kdesu kcontrol

enter your password

the control centre is now open with full root permission's ...

Comment

Originally posted by Gezzer
            in a konsole write

sudo kcontrol
            or
            kdesu kcontrol

enter your password

the control centre is now open with full root permission's ...
            It is not...

The same problem comes up, at least for me. I can log on as "root" via "su", so I am guessing the administrative user is not called "root" for that matter, or root is not a member in the correct group.

*edit*
            However, entering my low-level user password worked, you may want to try that. It is necessary to add the line"[user] ALL=(ALL) ALL" to the visudo file however by entering "visudo" as root.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
              However, entering my low-level user password worked, you may want to try that. It is necessary to add the line"[user] ALL=(ALL) ALL" to the visudo file however by entering "visudo" as root.
              It's supposed to work with your low-level user password, the standard installation doesn't include a 'root' password (you only enter one in the 'expert' installation)
              Also, the /etc/sudoers should already have a line:
              %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
              (the first low-level user created (during install) is automatically included in the %admin -group)

Comment

Working...
              X