This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISPs that support Kubuntu?

Hi,a noob question here.How do I find out which ISPs support Kubuntu?If I find one that says they handle Linspire,will they handle Kubuntu?For a total noob to Linux,finding this kind of info is important.Is there a list somewhere of ISPs that cover different distros?TIA

Re: ISPs that support Kubuntu?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "handle."

I use Earthlkink DSL with no problems -- my connection was instantly and automatically detected by Kubuntu, by Freespire, and by MEPIS, and it works great without any problems whatsoever.

(Note: Earthlink offers a Protection Control Center (firewall, virus scanner, pop-up blockers, scam blocker, etc.), and it only works with Windows. But that's not a problem, though. Linux is different that way. Any "protection" you might need in Linux is provided by various Linux programs that you will easily learn about.)

Maybe you could clarify what you need or are looking for.

Here's Earthlink DSL, and you'll find most/all DSL's here (see the site map or Home tabs).
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/earthlink
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

There should be no reason for an ISP to support one OS or another. The only thing that would be different would be the software they offer as mentioned in the above post. For the most part Linux does not need most of this software that windows is dependent on. You provider may tell you they don't support Linux but there is a real good chance that there servers are running one form of *nix or another. Only the customer service reps are trained to tell people how to connect using MS.
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

I have DSL through SBC-Yahoo and when I switched to linux last year
        all I did was install and march on. The router does not care what your running.
        TCP/IP is all it cares about.
        You can access the router through any browser if you know what to
        type in the address.

Comment

Ok,I realized that I failed to mention I was asking about dial up connections.I was wondering if all the major ISPs,like AOL,PeoplePC,Netzero,Earthlink etc supported the different Linux distros,Unbuntu,Kubuntu,MEPIS,etc.I'm asking about Kubuntu 7.04 in particular since that's the Live CD that I have.I'm currently on Netzero with my Windows system.In looking thru their FAQ they listed that they support Linspire,so I wondered if Kubuntu would work on their dialup connection.

Comment

Checkout 650Dialup. I used them for years. That have a lot of numbers and require no proprietary client software. They are also among the cheapest.

http://www.650dialup.com

Comment

The biggest thing is making sure you can get the modem to work.
              Sometimes they can be interesting to get to work. Linux has made
              a lot of progress in that area over the years but can still run into one
              that won't function right.
              As far as your ISP it should not really matter to them what you have.
              As long as you got the number to dial up it should go. Linux relies
              on the same protocols as windows to talk with the net.
              The disks that isp's give out when you sign up I have never
              used, I get phone # and do it manually.

Comment

Uh... obviously spoken by someone who hasn't tried it. Netzero, AOL, Earthlink, many (most) others require that you run Windows only software to connect to their service. They don't support a normal host connection. That is why he asked. There are a number of ISPs that don't require additional software to connect. Many of those are small, fly-by-night operations with little to no services or support. 650Dialup that I noted above is one that is a solid business, cheap, and has some added services.

Comment

I use 'www.dialup4less.com' for my isp as they allow Windows,Mac OS and Linux as supported operating systems. Presently, happly Kubuntu User.

Comment

Thanks for the info.I think I have enough information now.Both dialup4less and 650Dialup have numbers in my area.Maybe there could be a quick list somewhere for new Linux users to check to see the ISPs that do Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X