X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably a simple answer to this one!!

Hi all
    Been "feeling my way" through dapper Kubuntu on a dual boot (with XP) laptop for about 2 months now - and am loving it!
    I want to upgrade to 7.04 now - and have read (and searched) about the sequential upgrade path. despite this I can't seem to find out what the repository is I need to add to allow the update! The guides all mention about using "update-manager - c" command, but Kubuntu doesn't like this (it doesn't have update manager) - then one other guide mentions adding "edgy updates" repo to adept - but what is the whole line to add? Is there a deb & a deb-src version.
    Sorry for the waffling post. Just want to upgrade!!

Nic

Re: Probably a simple answer to this one!!

You can upgrade from Dapper to Edgy and from Edgy to Feisty, but you can't upgrade directly from Dapper to Feisty. The best guide (from Edgy to Feisty) is probably http://www.ubuntugeek.com/upgrade-ub...ty-fawn-2.html

I had problems moving from Dapper to Edgy and had to do a clean install.

You don't need a repository. It's mostly a case of changing the words in the sources.list, update and upgrade.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

This is what I used to upgrade to Edgy.

http://kubuntu.org/announcements/6.10-release.php

Upgrading from 6.06 LTS

Users of Kubuntu 6.06 LTS can upgrade to 6.10 over the internet by following these instructions:

* NOTE: This procedure upgrades your system over the Internet, which requires a large download of several hundred megabytes.
      * In Konqueror go to /etc/apt, right click on sources.list and choose Actions -> Edit as Root
      * Change all instances of dapper to edgy
      * Launch a console with KMenu -> System -> Konsole
      * In the console run: sudo apt-get update
      * In the console run: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and follow the prompts to upgrade
      * In the console run: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop python-qt3 python-kde3 ubuntu-minimal and follow the prompts to install
      * Reboot your computer

http://kubuntu.org/announcements/7.04-release.php

Upgrading from 6.10 (Edgy Eft)

Distribution Upgrade to Feisty

Users of Kubuntu 6.10 can upgrade to 7.04 over the internet by using the new Kubuntu Distribution Upgrade Tool.

1. Open the Adept Manager by going to KMenu -> System -> Adept Manager (Manage Packages).
      2. In Adept -> Manage Repositories enable edgy-updates (or feisty-updates "Recommended Updates" if you are already on feisty)
      3. If you are using the Edgy KDE 3.5.6 repository, also add
      deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-356-pre-feisty-upgrade/ edgy main
      4. If your system is up to date, the upgrade wizard will appear or you can choose it via the Version Upgrade button. Otherwise:
      1. Press the Full Upgrade button.
      2. Press the Apply Changes button.
      3. Once the packages are installed, exit the Adept Manager (Adept -> Quit).
      4. Repeat the initial steps (1-4).

Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

You can also make prople's lives easier by writing at the Subject what your post will be about. The forums are full of the "Help!", "What is it", "I have something to say..." threads.

Comment

well the title got my attention, especially the "simple" part

Comment

Originally posted by DMurray
            You can also make prople's lives easier by writing at the Subject what your post will be about. The forums are full of the "Help!", "What is it", "I have something to say..." threads.
            My sincerest apologies.... though my subject description mentioned none of your obviously irritating thread names.
            Thankyou, Claydoh and those whose replies have actually been a great help!!

Nic

Comment

Working...
            X