Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Got a new laptop and Kubuntu will not load...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Got a new laptop and Kubuntu will not load...

I just got my trusty eMachine M6809 (which had Kubuntu and only Kubuntu loaded on it) junked under the Best Buy warranty. Best Buy gave me a HP DV9535nr as a replacement. Kubuntu will not load on this new laptop it gives me the following error:

[0.300444] PCI: failed to allocate mem resource #6:20000@e0000000 for 0000;01:00.0

then it drops me to a BusyBox shell

Please help, I am stuck in Vista and hating life!!

Re: HELP! Got a new laptop and Kubuntu will not load...

Originally posted by kermit
    PCI: failed to allocate mem resource
    This bug seems to be sort of, er, "well known, well ignored" (as indicated i.a. in this thread).

then it drops me to a BusyBox shell
    That's really bad the only way out (coming to my limited mind, that is): Kubuntu's Alternate CD - or Debian 4.0 KDE ...

Comment

try the Kubuntu Alternate Install CD. thats what i had to do and now it works fine.

Comment

[0.300444] PCI: failed to allocate mem resource #6:20000@e0000000 for 0000;01:00.0
        I've been seeing this message on every boot of my Core2Extreme system for 7 months now. If the developers ever actually fix it, I think I'm going to miss it!

Seriously, it is not related to the functional problem that you're having. I've seen multiple posts on the "dropping me to busybox" problem -- focus on that and don't worry about your PCI bus.

I suspect you'll need to take the Alternate Install CD, choose to boot in "VGA" video mode, and once your basic text-mode installation is done, then you will need to study up on configuring your xserver using the
        Code:
        dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        routine, based on your particular graphics chip.

Comment

Working...
        X