X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Cant install softwares on Linux!

I tried installing XMMS Linux mp3 player from
    www.xmms.org

AFter un-tarring it , The uncomprssed folder had a configure , so this is what I did:

bandan@Genesis:~/xmms-1.2.10$ ls
    ABOUT-NLS AUTHORS config.log configure.in FAQ install-sh ltmain.sh mkinstalldirs README wmxmms.1.in xmms.m4
    acconfig.h ChangeLog config.rpath COPYING General intl Makefile.am NEWS TODO xmms xmms.spec
    acinclude.m4 config.guess config.sub depcomp Input libxmms Makefile.in Output Visualization xmms.1.in xmms.spec.in
    aclocal.m4 config.h.in configure Effect INSTALL ltconfig missing po wmxmms xmms-config.in
    bandan@Genesis:~/xmms-1.2.10$ ./configure
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... mawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking for prefix by checking for xmms... no
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.
    bandan@Genesis:~/xmms-1.2.10$

Now when I try typing 'make' as given in the instructions , it dusnt work , plz look at the last message 'Ccompiler cannnot create..." , what does it mean??...and how do I get to make it work ....and pls tell me where can i get to know about installing softwares in LInux ...

Re: Help! Cant install softwares on Linux!

1. See 'config.log' ... :P
    2. apt-get install xmms

Comment

I saw the config.log file , i cant get head or toe out of it... !!!

and what does 'apt-get install xmms' mean?>

shud i cut paste the whole log file herE?

Comment

Originally posted by bandan
        and what does 'apt-get install xmms' mean
        That XMMS (incl. add-on stuff) is available from (K)Ubuntu's official repositories (further reading).

Originally posted by bandan
        shud i cut paste the whole log file here
        The part about the failure ought to suffice.

Comment

here is the config text
          Attached Files

Comment

!!!

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/kubuntu...html#id2553617

I ws doing whatever ws being told int he above link ... but seems like my adept manager in Kubuntu is not the same as what they r telling abt..!!!

moreover as per them "Managing Rep" should be in View section but in my case i found it in the Adept at the top! and not View...leave tht , the further description doesnt quite match mine!!

Comment

You seem to have been referred to material that was appropriate for Kubuntu 6-10. You are almost certainly running Kubuntu 7-04, at least you are if you downloaded and installed Kubuntu after April 20, 2007.

The easy way to install xmms
              (0) In konqueror, make sure that view>"show hidden files" is checked.
              (a) Navigate to the /etc/apt/ folder.
              (b)Right click on the file sources.list
              (c)left click on "actions" > "edit as root"
              (d)make sure that the lines "deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty universe" and "deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty multiverse" DO NOT START WITH THE CHARACTER '#'. Substitute your country code for mine.
              (e)save the file
              (1) Start a konsole (K>System>Konsole) and enter the command "sudo apt-get install synaptic". Enter your password when requested. This step is not mandatory, but it will make the rest of the instructions work as given.
              (2) Start Synaptic (K>System>"Synaptic Package Manager")
              (3) Click on Search. Enter xmms on the top line of the dialog box. Enter Look In "name" in the drop down list. Left click the Search button.
              (4) Right click on xmms. Left click on "Mark for Installation".
              (5) Repeat for "xmms-cdread", "xmms-flac", "xmms-mad", "xmms-skins", and anything else you see that captures your interest.
              (6) Click on "Apply"
              (When the smoke clears, you should have a functioning xmms installation.

Comment

Working...
              X