X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution on NVIDIA Geforce 6200

Hello!

I have a problem with the screen resolution on my newly installed Kubuntu and I would be very grateful for some help. The graphics card I am using is a NVIDIA Geforce 6200. When I first installed Kubuntu on one half of a dual-booted (XP) partitian I played around with a lot of the settings as thats what I always do with a new piece of software, including the screen resolution. When I booted back into Kubuntu the screen resolution had set itself to something roughly around 400 x 800 and would only allow you to drag the slider down from there. My friend recommended I delete the partitition in Windows and reinstall Kubuntu. I did this but now the screen resolution was too high! Everything was very small and hard-to-read. After setting it back to what it is on Windows (1024 x 768) I restarted and it had done exactly the same thing. As it is currently it is pretty much unusable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Resolution on NVIDIA Geforce 6200

There is no relationship between how your system displays in Windows and how it displays in Linux.

Have you previously attempted to install an Nvidia driver for that card (in Kubuntu)? If not, the simplest thing to do is, in a console window,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    This will install the packaged driver. Then you need to restart the xserver with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Upon doing that, you should observe the Nvidia splash screen right before you are presented with the login prompt. After you log in, open a console window and type
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    this will open the driver utility -- select "X Server Display Configuration" and set your screen resolution and refresh rate where you want them. Click "Save to X Configuration File", and then "save" to save these as the default settings.

That should be all it takes.

Comment

Thanks ever so much for that. Worked perfectly! Well nearly all...

This may sound a little silly but now I have got into the X Server Display Configuration because of the screen resolution I cannot select the resolution or press "Apply" as it goes off the page!

Im sure I'm missing something obvious here from a long time Windows user :P

Comment

Oh boy -- yes that is most annoying, and it has happened to me. Can you grab the top bar of the window with your mouse, and drag the whole thing up higher on your screen, so you can finish your settings?

Comment

Working...
        X