Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partitioning hard disc and 'lost+found' folders..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partitioning hard disc and 'lost+found' folders..

Hi,

I'm new to linux in its entirety, but thought I'd stray from windows..
    Anyway, I installed Kubuntu Feisty on a blank system, and thought I'd manually set up my own partitions on my hdd. I have a 400gb hdd, and put in a 20gb partition as the root folder (ext3), 4gb swap and run into trouble trying to format the remaining as /media mount ext3 (for my media). It seemed to me that kubuntu doesn't like large (370gb) partitions, since I could put in a 200gb partition and a 170gb partition. Anyway I made do with a split media partition, and installed kubuntu.
    (Is there something I did wrong here??)
    When I booted up kubuntu after installing, I noticed my media partitions were not accessable. They show up on my system (as named Media1 and Media2) but are labelled 'lost+found'. I cannot access them as current user, and I think I may be able to open them up as root.
    So first thing is - how would I become root to open them?
    And second - When I do open them as root, can I change the privelages to enable opening and using them as user?

I am also thinking 'have I completely doen everything wrong from the start (partitioning)'

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

Thanks

Gareth

Re: Partitioning hard disc and 'lost+found' folders..

I'm not sure what "run into trouble" means, but here's what I would do if I had your situation:

1. Download and burn the GParted live CD image, from here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

2. Use GParted to repartition as follows:

/ = 10GB (set the "bootable" flag on this one)
    /{swap} = 1.5 GB (probably will never be used, but at least it's there)
    /home = all the rest of it

NOTE: The names of the partitions aren't actually assigned by GParted, but I want you to see the planned names that Linux will use.

After "writing" the partitions, exit GParted and boot your Kubuntu Alternate Install CD (that's the one I like).

3. Install Kubuntu, directing the installation and formatting the partitions as you install.

4. Enjoy success! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by gazlang
      kubuntu doesn't like large partitions
      That depends

Code:
      ROOT # du
      Filesystem  Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
      /dev/sda2   19G 3.3G  15G 19% /
      /dev/sda3   20G 1.9G  17G 10% /home
      /dev/sda4   74G  49G  22G 70% /fake
      /dev/sdc1  150G  27G 123G 19% /media/data
      /dev/sdb1  233G 157G  77G 68% /media/save

Comment

When you say that the media partitions are labelled "Lost+Found" what exactly do you mean? If you look at one of those partitions using Konqueror, do you see a folder icon with a padlock on it, called "Lost+Found"? If so, then that's perfectly normal, and doesn't mean that the partition is inaccessible. The "Lost+Found" folder is a special folder within that partition which you don't need to access as a user. If you can see that folder icon with a padlock on it then you DO have access to the partition.

Eric

Comment

Working...
        X