This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.04 Cant get online!!!

I CANT GET ONLINE!! It always says "The default gateway IP is invalid" after I apply settings, I am not even using that, I just said to use DHCP. It detects the hardware but wont connect!

I dont know the default gateway IP, I was running off a Live CD and if I cant even connect then there's no point in installing as I cant get Wine anf Banshee and other programs.

I am so %^#&% mad, I was trying for 2 hours!
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Kubuntu 7.04 Cant get online!!!

Are you connected thru a router? Or are you connected directly to a cable or DSL modem? If you open the setup page for the router or modem, you should be able to find out what the default gateway is. It will probably be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

If you have Knetworkmanager installed, you can open it with "Manual Configuration"and select your networking card then open the "Routes" tab. Enter you Default Gateway there.

Comment

Its is through I wireless router, I cant even get to the config screen 192.168...
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

OK, wireless router. There are many, many threads on the forum about getting wireless to work. But I don't have a lot of experience on that so I'll let someone else. jump in here. But if the only problem is the default gateway, try changing that to 192.168.1.1 and, if that doesn't work, 192.168.0.1. It's probably one of those two.

Comment

I know what it is and it works in Windoze..

Comment

It works in Windows as the manufacturer provided the drivers. I want to point out to some messages from the dmesg file. Any other more experienced than me can jump in here as well. Here's a few areas that might warrant addressing:

[ 1348.172000] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

[ 1348.188000] ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'

[ 1351.488000] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth1: link becomes ready

[ 1362.452000] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

[ 1455.408000] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

[ 1523.832000] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

[ 1540.148000] ipw3945: Microcode SW error detected. Restarting.

[ 1540.148000] ipw3945: Error Reply type 0x00000005 cmd TX (0x1C) seq 0x0000 ser

0x004A0000
            This points out a probable problem with the IPv6 stack and that would have to be disabled. It's also detected as an ethernet card rather than a wireless. Also, the network card works as reported by many in the Ubuntu forums. I've given you a headstart by listing the models and chipsets so you can research them up and see who had problems with that and what did they do to get it resolved. That's a good start from where you first started. I must point out here to that some drivers don't get really working until a hard drive install and update. Can't you use the ethernet port to download the updates if installed? There were some folks that got theirs working after updating their system.

What you can do is try to see if the wireless is seen at all from there.
            Code:
            iwconfig
            should tell you what is found and what isn't. Also, try going to System Settings and Networking to see what happens there.

That's the best I can do for now. I'd be interested in seeing what the iwconfig will come up with.

Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

I have WLAN and an ethernet card too.

I can get in on Ubuntu but no Kubuntu...

Comment

I know you do have internet. You said things work better for you using Ubuntu. You can get Kubuntu without having to do a fresh install. Just type in the terminal
                Code:
                sudo aptitude install kde-desktop
                You need to know that there's not much difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu except that they use two different desktop environments. The base and kernel are the same and I mean packages when I say base. Just that Gnome applications are GTK oriented while KDE uses QT. However, you can install KDE applications under Gnome and vice versa.
                Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

I would prefer to just install it off the CD though..

Comment

DOes anyone else have these problems?

Comment

Working...
                    X