This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok currently cannot play mp3 files

All of a sudden every time I open Amarok I get an error that says "Amarok currently cannot play mp3 files". It gives an option to install mp3 support but when I click on that nothing happens except for the error message closes until next time I open Amarok. This started around the time I installed java with Automatix but I don't know if it is related. Any solutions?

Re: Amarok currently cannot play mp3 files

Do you have libxine-extracodes installed?

Comment

Not that I know of.

Comment

Ok, I too had have this type problem with amarok, so after I changed my source list(where it is written universe one just add multiverse) I was supposed to be able to then add the plug on that made mp3s readable, not that I did because following advise from someone else here I tried out the XMMS which plays mp3s well after downloading it from the add/remove program, and the just made it the standard way to open mp3s(right hand click the mp3 and choose what to open it with using the remember this thingy in the same window)
        every day is a gift

Comment

I suspect that I'm the person referred to in the preceding message who flips back and forth between XMMS and Amarok. Immediately after the upgrade to KDE 3.5.7 I ran into exactly the same problem that you describe in the first post of this thread. At that point I switched over to XMMS, which I have used frequently in the past. Then, sometime over the last few weeks the problem solved itself. I'm vague on exactly when because I didn't discover that it had solved itself until I absent-mindedly started Amarok a day or two ago and it worked. I wish I could tell you what I did, but I don't know.

This has given a chance to compare the two players. Xmms and Amarok use different engines, Amarok uses the Xine engine and hence needs libxine-extracodecs. Actually libxine-extracodecs is just a dummy package that brings in a bunch of "stuff" (mainly, from the medibuntu repository). Xmms uses a series of of codecs which are installed by the "xmms" package.

After listening to both over the last few days, using a Bose Wave radio as a high fidelity output device. I've come to the conclusion that Xmms produces better sound quality than Amarok. So I am using Xmms to listen to classic music from internet streams tuned in with streamtuner. On the other hand, Amarok has all sorts of cool features like downloading the lyrics of pop songs that I've ripped to mp3s, so you can sing along and NOT GET ANY WORK DONE AT ALL. How great is that! The lesser sound quality doesn't bother me, because most of my pop music dates from 50s and 60s, so it has lousy sound quality anyway.

Also, the random number generator in Amarok is "better" than the one in Xmms so a playlist of 100 songs from a collection of about 2000 will have fewer repeats in Amarok than in Xmms Neither player has ever come up with less than the (most-probable) 5 that you would expect from a "perfect" RNG, even though you should see less than 5 repeats around half the time.

Comment

I am glad to hear you say that, Al. I have an elive installation, that I use mainly to back up my "important" data, including music and images, to a spare hard drive. It comes with a weird little xmms player. Once I figured out how to get it to play a track, it really seems to sound excellent. I can't quite do a side-by-side comparison with Amarok, but I can play the same music, and it really does do a marvelous job with both .wav and .mp3 files.

Comment

I installed xmms and it is working nicely. Now how do I get Amarok to not start up automatically when I start my computer?

Comment

What setting do you use in K > "System Settings" > Advanced > "Session Manager" > "on login"? I have mine set to "Restore Manually Saved Session". Then I saved a session that I had set up exactly the way I wanted it. You can save a session from the K menu.

Comment

I had mine on "restore previous". That's a good idea. I didn't know that feature existed. Running into these little problems are good, with the help of these forums it's showing me around the system. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X