Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer Aspire 9410 built in hardware work with Linux??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire 9410 built in hardware work with Linux??

I have Acer Aspire 9410 laptop intel graphics, its something like 945 GM, the sticker on my Laptop says "Intel (R) Graphics Media Accelerator 950" but device manager says "Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family"

Will all my Laptop's built in hardware work with Kubuntu 7.04

WLAN
    Bluetooth
    Card reader
    Web Cam
    Speakers

I contacted Acer and they dont support Linux, do I need drivers??

I have booted off the Live CD once and WLAN worked and I think Speakers and Card Readers only need standard drivers..

I have an Acer Aspire 9410 and ReakTek High Definition Audio
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Acer Aspire 9410 built in hardware work with Linux??

The best way to know is via the live cd. If everything worked, then it means it will work. If I'm not mistaken, you said the wireless worked, what about sound? Bluetooth works as far as I know and card readers are universal so that's a Yes. As for speakers, you can tell when you try out the sound and you can try the webcam. If camorama isn't installed, install it via adept (yes, you can install some programs using the live cd. They get installed to a virtual drive using your RAM so no threat of touching your hard drive here.) See if the camera works. You didn't say the brand/make/model of Camera though.

Good luck.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

I think an EXE needs to be run for Bluetooth to work, even in Windows.

This brings me to my Acer Aspire 9410 and office 2007 issue

I have Vista and am so happy since I fixed my problem.

What happened was my Bluetooth is off by default and WLAN is on. This is USUALLY how I want it, but if I goto an airport I need to turn WLAN off, I dont use bluetooth YET.

The software would then allow me to change if Blu/WLAN is on or off, however it wasnt working so it would be stuckk!! ALso when I adjust my volume a think would come on the screen showing

that went away too. And it also mighta been why my internet cut out.

Reinstalling Windoze would fix but it would just come up. I pin pointed when it happended and ran system restore but that was messed too!!!

When I unistalled office 2007 which was an app I installed around the time the problems came, it said to complete unistall I need to reboot. I said so, but later I did and it worked again.

I am saying that for two reasons, does anyone else with an Acer Aspire 9410 have this issue?

and for some reason my Acer software never worked so neither did my Blutooth, so is Linux cant start the exe...
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Heads up. EXE files are for Windows. The only way you will get some of them to run is using Wine and that's a post by itself.

Bluetooth is installed by default in Linux, and Kubuntu. Just go to Kmenu--->Internet---->bluetooth

On the issue of wireless networking, that again, once it's working is easy to turn off using KnetworkManager.

P.S. It's a completely different operating system and things don't run and work the same way like it does in Windows.
        Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

There is an old, incomplete report about your laptop at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki, but it doesn't look like it's going to be much help. Just think, though. If you get your system working YOU can write it up for the Wiki! (He said, while trying to make lemonade out of a lemon.)

Comment

Page UP/Down and Home/End dont work??

I think the scroll thing on the touichpad will scrool vertical but not horizontal, would be nice if it could, but maybe they can work on that..

Another thing is I use it "as a desktop lots" that is slide it under my Bed and use a USB Mouse and external monitor (Mouse works but Monitor is "Untested"). Reason is my parents dont know about it, so they have to think I am using a desktop, I am waiting for a good time to tell them...

It lots of things work in Edgy, will they still work in Feisty, like it only gets better right?

Comment

First of all, if you downloaded the iso since April, your probably using Feisty already, so nothing is going to change until mid-October when Gutsy comes out. Second, developers put their pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else so sometimes things that are supposed to get better, get worse. That's why there are beta testers. And why they advise people not to install beta's on a computer that they need to use. In addition things sometimes slip through. That's why there are upgrades between new releases.

Comment

There's already another version (Gusty)? I remember when Feisty came out, I haven't even got around to using it yet!

Anyways, I am concerned about my hardware..

Comment

Originally posted by Princey
                  Heads up. EXE files are for Windows. The only way you will get some of them to run is using Wine and that's a post by itself.

Bluetooth is installed by default in Linux, and Kubuntu. Just go to Kmenu--->Internet---->bluetooth

On the issue of wireless networking, that again, once it's working is easy to turn off using KnetworkManager.

P.S. It's a completely different operating system and things don't run and work the same way like it does in Windows.
                  I dunno, as far as I know the EXE needs to be run, without it it wont even show up in Device Manager, I think my Bluetooth might be different..

I dunno if my Webcam works, I couldnt detect it... I have the Acer Orbi cam (Logitech), I think it might be able to work as I can use it while in Yahoo! messenger, unless the EXE is run in the background, but back when I had my Office 2007 error Windoze would always say that orbicam.exe stopped responding, so it must have been running without it...

Comment

*.exe files are run under MS Windows that's why you needed them. Under Linux, as I said, binary files don't carry the *.exe extention. Drivers are built into the kernel itself and for those that aren't you have to compile them following a howto somewhere. Bluetooth works on my Kubuntu and so does infrared without any extra files needed.

Please, when next you boot to the Feisty live CD open up the terminal and type the following:
                    Code:
                    dmesg
                    Copy and paste everything it says here and I'll point out the hardware that it detected. How about that? That way we know what works out of the box, what will need a few tweaks to work and what will just not work. Deal?

Comment

My card reader doesnt appear to work and Bluetooth dosnt either, the light is off and pressing the button to enable it doesnt so nothing. I have some touch pad issues..

ALSO I CANT GET ONLINE!! It always says "The default gateway IP is invalid" after I apply settings, I am not even using that, I just said to use DHCP. It detects the hardware but wont connect!

Code:
                      The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters).
                      See the attachemnt for the text..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I went through your dmesg file and here's the report on the hardware specs that were detected. I'll break it down into hardware model/chipset and Status [work/notwork/workable catergories for you].

Certain hardware manufacturers use chipsets from other vendors. Linux on a whole most times will recognise the chipset even if the hardware may not have drivers available. Workable status says whether it works but with some input.

Hardware Model/Chipset Status

Camera Logitech/SPCA5XX Workable (Most logitech cameras are supported)

Ethernet (Wired networkcard) Realtek/ RTL8168b/8111b Works / workable (might need to compile drivers from Realtek

Wireless Network Card Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG Works

CD-ROM TSSTcorp CD/DVDW Works obviously

Hard Drive Hitachi HTS54161 Works obviously

Touchpad SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad Should work

Video/Graphics Card Intel 945GM Chipset Works

USB Mouse BELKIN RF Mouse Works

I didn't find any Card Readers listed although it may record it as a USB device. The bluetooth drivers are loaded as well. That I can't say much for. I hope this helps.

Comment

I havent tried webcam, but I cant even get online:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084489.0

Comment

Working...
                          X