This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Ruby

I just installed the latest version of ruby using Adept but irb wasn't installed. I thought irb was part of the standard ruby install. I've search the net and also the ruby site but haven't found out what the problem is. Anyone got any ideas?

Re: Installing Ruby

sudo apt-get install irb

Should do it.

oh and it's in universe: so make you enable universe in /etc/apt/sources.list

`kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list'

Comment

Yes! That did it.

That brings up another question. How do you know when to use Adept and when to do apt-get? With Adept you have a list to pick from. Using apt-get you need to know the name of the package you wish to install. Is there a list of what you can "apt-get"?

I've got a lot to learn. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by buntubill
        Yes! That did it.

That brings up another question. How do you know when to use Adept and when to do apt-get? With Adept you have a list to pick from. Using apt-get you need to know the name of the package you wish to install. Is there a list of what you can "apt-get"?

I've got a lot to learn. Thanks.
        Not that I know of...

Comment

There is no difference between using apt-get and adept or any other tool like dselect or aptitude (the latter being my personal favourite). Adept isn't very mature yet and I'd suggest using aptitude.

Searching for packages in an apt-get way can be done with apt-cache.
          apt-cache search irb
          will show you a list of packages that match the keyword irb in their name or description, amongst other things.

apt-cache show irb
          will print a description of that package.

Comment

Working...
          X