This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free space on "C:\"

Linux doesnt use "C:\" (I kinda like the lettering system), whats it called instead?

Anyways, I am referring o the boot drive. I can check free space on USB drives, floppies, etc. But I cant do it for boot. Since anything in the system root (/meida /dev, etc.) is all there when I check fro space it accounts for everydrive over all, my boot, CDs, USB.

How can I find out the free space on my internal HD/Boot HD.

I am referring to the Linux equivalent of C:\
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Free space on &quot;C:\&quot;

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/df.1.html

Comment

Should I type in

"df -l, --local "?
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
        Should I type in

"df -l, --local "?
        remove the "," from the command and you'll get something like this:
        Code:
        gediminas@monstertux:~$ df -l --local
        Filesystem      1K-blocks   Used Available Use% Mounted on
        /dev/sda1       4917680  2832772  1835100 61% /
        varrun         517456    120  517336  1% /var/run
        varlock         517456     0  517456  0% /var/lock
        procbususb       517456    108  517348  1% /proc/bus/usb
        udev          517456    108  517348  1% /dev
        devshm         517456     0  517456  0% /dev/shm
        lrm           517456   33788  483668  7% /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/volatile
        /dev/sda5       33586232  3686648 28193488 12% /home
        /dev/sdb1       75916736 56780716 18364740 76% /media/sdb1
        gediminas@monstertux:~$
        Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

So "df -l --local "?

The "" are simply to quote the text, or maybe should I do this instead:

Code:
          df -l --local

Comment

So "df -l --local "?

The "" are simply to quote the text, or maybe should I do this instead:

Code:
            df -l --local
            yes. I even gave you my console output for the command. I'm not sure if this is what you want.
            Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

I dunno, I want how much free space there is on my boot hard drive, the one where I installed Ubuntu on..

Comment

Linux doesnt use "C:\" (I kinda like the lettering system), whats it called instead?

Anyways, I am referring o the boot drive. I can check free space on USB drives, floppies, etc. But I cant do it for boot. Since anything in the system root (/meida /dev, etc.) is all there when I check fro space it accounts for everydrive over all, my boot, CDs, USB.

How can I find out the free space on my internal HD/Boot HD.

I am referring to the Linux equivalent of C:\
                http://bestwikiever.wikidot.com/drive-letters
                There it says C:\ is where Windows is installed, well I need info on the partition and/or disk/drive where Linux is installed!

Comment

Menu --> System --> KInfoCenter --> Storage devices

Look at the 'Mount point' column and you'll see that one device has the mount point '/'; this is where your system is installed. There may well also be one device mounted at /home and this is where all your personal files are stored.
                  Eric

Comment

Originally posted by roseway
                    Menu --> System --> KInfoCenter --> Storage devices

Look at the 'Mount point' column and you'll see that one device has the mount point '/'; this is where your system is installed. There may well also be one device mounted at /home and this is where all your personal files are stored.
                    So this will only give info on the drive where Linux is instaled?

Comment

Naming conventions:

Linux/Unix has it's own method of drive naming, not anywhere close to what we're used to on Microsoft Windows. Drives are listed as hdx for IDE drives where 'x' is an alphabetical letter starting from a. That means, if you have 4 IDE drives, they would be listed as hda, hdb, hdc, hdd and so on. For SATA drives it's sda, sdb, etc.

Now, that seems simple enough but it can get a bit confusing when you partition your drive in the case where you have 1 drive and want to dual boot. Under Microsoft Windows, even if you partition the drive, Windows just names it D,E,F or whatever the next available letters are. Not so with Linux. To better explain myself, I'll use an example here. Say we have a 250GB IDE internal Drive. Windows is installed. Now seeing it's an Acer computer, I can bet my last dollar that there's a small partition for Factory Re-installation. So, that's about 5GB used up and it's normally a FAT32 (type of file system)drive. Windows is installed on the balance of the drive.

If I install Kubuntu, it will consolidate free space, partition it and set up linux. Assuming I go with the default install and not make separate partitions for myself, I'd now end up with four (4) partitions on that drive. Typing
                      Code:
                      sudo fdisk -l
                      would show up 4 partitions. They'd be listed as

/dev/hda1 <------ The 5GB FAT32 drive
                      /dev/hda2 <------ Windows
                      /dev/hda5 <------ SWAP
                      /dev/hda6 <------ Ubuntu install

The reason why there's a jump between 2 and 5 is because Linux/Unix systems always starts numbering drives in the logical partition from 5. I can't tell why it's from 5 and not any other.

I know this is probably offbeat but just thought I'd explain the naming conventions.
                      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

BTW, there is not such a thing like "the driver where linux is installed" .

Linux system files can be spread through a lot of disks or partitions.

If you start KInfoCenter (in the system menu) and select "Storage Devices" you will be given ussage info on all your hard disks.

Javier.

Comment

Originally posted by Princey
                          /dev/hda1 <------ The 5GB FAT32 drive
                          /dev/hda2 <------ Windows
                          /dev/hda5 <------ SWAP
                          /dev/hda6 <------ Ubuntu install
                          Those are all same partiotns on the same Disk? (You have an Acer to, my Laptop has the recovery partiton too, love it, it is way easier to reinstall Windoze! We all know how reinstallation id often necessary!)

In the attachment I took a screen shot of disk management. I then wrote in HDxY, so is the picture right? I got each partition and wrote in the way Linux would name it...
                          Attached Files

Comment

have you tried KDiskFree? It's in the menu under System.

Comment

It's in the menu under System.
                              Actually you have to install either the package "kdf" or the "kdeutils" package bundle before kdiskfree shows up in the menu.

Comment

Working...
                              X