This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

conferencing and java on feisty

I use an online conference room for business from inetcommunicator.com. To log in to the room it uses java and they list only windows and mac as their minimum OS requirements. So when a program like that does not list linux does that probably mean I am out of luck with kubuntu or might it be worth going to java.com and installing the java that they require and giving it a try? Or is there away around such things? If so which of the following from java.com is the right java for kubuntu?

Linux RPM (self-extracting file) filesize: 17.67 MB.
    Linux (self-extracting file) filesize: 18.15 MB
    Linux x64 * filesize: 17.15 MB
    Linux x64 RPM * filesize: 16.75 MB

Using this conferencing is the only reason I am holding on to windows now. Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: conferencing and java on feisty

The easiest way to get java installed is installing it with automatix.
    http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation
    You can use this to install other nifty stuff.

Installing java from anyone of those downloads you mentioned can be tricky.

As for your conferencing software/room I would write their support team and ask them if and how to it running with linux/firefox/konqueror. Since it is web based (as far as I can tell from visiting the page) you could also just try logging in to your room from firefox. You will probably be told that you are missing a plugin. In most cases you can just install that plugin from firefox. Don't qoute me but it is worth a try.

I hope that helps, enjoy
    F
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Using Automatix is the easiest way ONLY if your system is close enough in its specs to what the people who wrote Automatix think they should be. If it isn't, Automatix will get you in trouble. All you need is the Firefox Java-plugin.

If you read the fine print on the Sun site you will find the words
      *Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support.
      So even if you have a 64 bit computer you will probably need the 32 bit version. So, you want to download the package "Linux (self-extracting file)". Then follow the instructions that you find by clicking the link called "Instructions".

However, if you actually do have a 64 bit computer, you may have to install the 32 bit version of Firefox, as well. I suspect that, in this case Automatix would have F***ED YOU UPP! (But, I may be wrong, personally I wouldn't have anything like Automatix in the same room with a computer that I was responsible for.)

Comment

What does that have to do with anything?

Edit: Sorry that was in response to someone this morning trying to spread some trash. well he/she is gone.
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I must be one of those who has it configured close enough because Automatix installed java just fine. With java installed I can now get to the rooms login screen. When I try to login firefox starts to download an application like it is supposed to but is not able to run it. It throws an error saying a required file is missing. For now I am still waiting to hear back from their support.

Comment

well if you can login that is half the rent . Lets see what the support site says.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              well if you can login that is half the rent . Lets see what the support site says.
              I agree it's like it's so close. I haven't heard back from support so maybe they were serious when they said they don't support linux in their FAQ. But it did say it "may work" on linux but is not supported. When it is downloading the application it also opens up the firefox download manager with a file listed. I wonder if there is a way to install that file or point it toward that file somehow.

Comment

Working...
              X