This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet connection problems.

I installed kubuntu on my laptop in the car on my way to Oregon this weekend. Everything worked fine until I got to the motel where I was staying. They didn't have wifi; instead, they had a cable. I connected to the internet by typing "sudo dhclient" into konsole, rebooting, and then it connected just fine.

Now that I'm back at home, I can't connect to the wireless internet when I used to be able to with my previous installation. What did I do wrong and can I fix it? Is it that it's not looking to connect to the internet from a wireless source instead of a cable? Do I need to tell it where to look or do I need to reinstall once more?

Re: Internet connection problems.

Hmm, was that the Bates motel? I suspect some psycho dressed up like an old lady, went and trashed your resolv.conf file.

1) Rerun dhclient.
    or
    2) Go here and follow the instructions there (not the ones on the Ubuntu page which require Gnome). Of course, you can substitute your ISP's DNS servers for OpenDNS, if you wish. Personally, I find OpenDNS faster and more reliable than my ISP, but YMMV.

Comment

How would I go about substituting, then? I'm open to other options.

Oh, internet is mysteriously working on my laptop, but I don't know why. I just left it overnight and this morning when I went into wlassistant it automatically connected. Is there any reason why this would happen? Or is it just serendipity?

Comment

My guess is that your dhcp lease at the motel's ISP timed out. When you started up your computer, again it went looking for a new lease and found one.

How would I go about substituting, then?
        Even though this was not necessary, since your problem had nothing to do with resolv.conf:
        (1) Call your ISP's tech support line. Work up through the user confusers until you get to someone who understands the term "IP addresses of your primary and secondary DNS servers".
        (2) Copy down the two sets of 4 numbers separated by dots.
        (3)Use those instead of the numbers in the OpenDNS instructions.

Comment

Working...
        X