X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dual boot Vista and Kubuntu

Hi There,

I thought I would share this video with others. I did'nt want to bother with manual partioning because I only have Vista installed and have plenty of free space.

I wanted the Kubuntu install to handle the partioning itself. Although I have'nt installed it yet I thought this video would help. He's using Ubuntu but I feel it will work with Kubuntu to.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...untu+dual+boot

Have fun

Did I miss something?

That video was about dual booting XP and Kubuntu. I watched it in hopes of finding out how and why grub wont see Vista.
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Hey,

Try this url http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_b...nstalled_first

I used this procedure to install Kubuntu and was successful! It it foces grub to recognize Vista. I have Vista + Kubuntu working fine together.

Hope this helps you.

Comment

If I had seen that sit before I Kubuntized my recent computer purchase, I might still be dual booting. My only question: Why would ozzies use en-us instead of en-gb? When I was down under, a few years ago, they were still spelling things with a British flavour.

Comment

7:22 in the video he says u ran run stuff while installing? That's b**chin'!!

I have Vista HP. Here is my curent setup on my 160 GB HD

9GB EISA thing
          70 GB C:\ for Vista
          70 GB D:\ for personal stuff
          10 GB Acer E Data Recovery perition to reinstall Vista to C:\

I think thats the order.

I wonder should I delete D:\ or resize it. I have data on D:\ already and kidna like it since if I reinstall Windoze my stuff is there, now ever I do have a USB hard drive, but its running outta space..

Can I install Kununtu onto an NTFS partition? Or maybe I will but some space off C:\ and D:\ (more off D:\).

Also, Can I acess my files on NTFS partitions in Kubuntu and my Linux files while in Vista?
          My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Can I install Kununtu onto an NTFS partition?
            No. Besides which, ext3 is actually a better filesystem than ntfs. Faster, more accurate, doesn't frag.
            I wonder should I delete D:\ or resize it. I have data on D:\ already and kidna like it since if I reinstall Windoze my stuff is there, now ever I do have a USB hard drive, but its running outta space..
            I'd use windoze software to (a)defrag (Best used to be Diskkeeper, but I've been off windoze for a while.)and (b)shrink the windoze partition (Partition Magic used to be standard, but see above.). I'd leave a 20GB blank partition for Linux. Then I'd back up EVERYTHING. THEN I'D BACKUP EVERYTHING. Then I'd look at Aysiu's dual booting instructions

Then I'd start up the Feisty installer, (Did You remember to backup all your windoze stuff?) if you know what you're doing the Alternate Installer is better, (Check out the Hermanzone instructions) but if this is your first Linux installation, your probably better off with the Desktop CD.

Can I acess my files on NTFS partitions in Kubuntu
            Yes, install ntfs-3g with Adept or Synaptic.
            and my Linux files while in Vista?
            No, "M$ don't need no stinkin' Linux", or legal threats to that effect.

Comment

I backed up the files I use. I am willing to loose everything else on C:\ and D:\...

I have AusLogics disk defrag. Should I defrag C:\, D:\, or both?

As for resize partition, the video says this can be done in the Gnome disk thing, or in the installer. And in Vista the Computer Management does it. Is Partition Magic free?
              My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Should I defrag C:\, D:\, or both?
                If the only one you're going to shrink is D:, then you don't have to defrag C:, but it's always a good idea to keep windoze partitions defragged. I used to do it every week (in the days of slow computers) so that it didn't take forever.
                Is Partition Magic free?
                No, it's a commercial program, but in the windoze world, you get what you pay for.
                the video says this can be done in the Gnome disk thing, or in the installer
                As I said before, I believe in doing windoze stuff in windoze and Linux stuff in Linux. That's why I'm not advising you to let Partition Magic (or Acronis whatever) format your ext3 and swap partitions.

Comment

I defrag lots, C:\ and D:\ are defragged (it skipped some files). I think what I can do in Vista is Shrink the partition and leave 20 GB of unallocated space, in which I can get the installer to partition and format, If I make empty space in Windows, then I cant ruin my partition if there isnt one! If Windoze does screw up the partiton, then Bill Gates is gonna have a law suit!

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                    ext3 is actually a better filesystem than ntfs. Faster, more accurate, doesn't frag.
                    You mean I will never have to run defrag on ext partitions, is that why there are no Linux (and mac) defrag programs?

Comment

http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/834.html

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
                        Originally posted by askrieger
                        ext3 is actually a better filesystem than ntfs. Faster, more accurate, doesn't frag.
                        You mean I will never have to run defrag on ext partitions, is that why there are no Linux (and mac) defrag programs?
                        Yeah, I had a hard time accepting this too. Is why linux machines make great print servers.

Comment

How is that possible? Like what if there is a small block left and not enough room?

Anyways, I think the best method would be for me to gointo Vista Computer Management --> Disk Management and use Vista to shrink the partition(s) and then just tell the installer to use the newly unallocated space. Does the version of Grub that comes w/ 7.04 compatible with Vista?

Comment

How is that possible? Like what if there is a small block left and not enough room?

Anyways, I think the best method would be for me to gointo Vista Computer Management --> Disk Management and use Vista to shrink the partition(s) and then just tell the installer to use the newly unallocated space. Does the version of Grub that comes w/ 7.04 compatible with Vista?
                            or get Gparted. =) http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3083886.0

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne

or get Gparted. =) http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3083886.0
                              But I dont even have Kubuntu yet...

Anyways, I attached a screenshot of my Laptop's built in Hard Drive..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X