X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia-glx question

Hello everybody,

I decided to try gutsy out. I totally messed up my nvidia settings.
    The x server says something "cannot load module glx. Module built-in"

So now I'm left with nv driver, because nvidia driver doesn't start x at all.

I tried installing the driver fro nvidia.com but I stumbled on another problem - I don't have source of my current kernel (2.6-22-6-386). I tried searching for it with adept_manager , but I didn't find them. (I might have missed it)

can anyone help me? I can't play anything
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Re: nvidia-glx question

Sounds like Gutsy gutted your video, hey?

I've not ventured into Gutsy, but with these newer nvidia-glx packages, you need to avoid installing anything but the one package you need, plus of course the linux-restricted-modules package for your kernel version. So don't install nividia-settings or nvidia-xconfig or any of those, just nvidia-glx-new or nvidia-glx, whichever is appropriate for your card, and the linux-restricted-modules package for your kernel.

Comment

I installed those. Didn't work (startx worked , but glxgears not)

then tried things out ...

The positive thing is that everything except glx works!
      It seems I'll be playing games with DOSbox
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

You may not get glx until you set it up in xorg-conf, even with the Nvidia driver installed. Did you try (in a console window)
        Code:
        sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
        ?

Then you will have to restart the xserver with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Then try
        Code:
        glxgears
        again.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that

Comment

Working...
          X