Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does xorg.conf keep getting changed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does xorg.conf keep getting changed?

Originally posted by jankushka
    Originally posted by ernieg92
    I will try the reinstall and see where that gets me (but I'm probably not out of the woods yet, am I?).
    I'd almost like to get rid of everything nvidia and start over (or does the --reinstall option basically do that?).
    Thanks again!
    i'm not 100% sure --reinstall will get you out of troubles.
    and i'm not sure it will clean things up before installing again (the apt-get man page does not clarify that)
    if that doesn't work, the next try is:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove <list of packages coming out of aforementioned dpkg-query> --purge
    sudo apt-get install <whatever needs to be reinstalled>
    this, however, is potentially very dangerous.
    sometimes the "autoremove" thing comes out with silly lists of packages...
    so, you could post again later before actually removing.
    i'll keep an eye on the forum...i think.
    jankushka-

You've been a big help and I appreciate the time you've given me. I've tried reinstalling as you said. Still just a blinking cursor when X starts.

But, I think I may have found what the problem is. When I get the blinking course, I switch over to the console and login as root. When I try to start X, the screen flashes black for like a nano second and then errors out. This is basically the last few lines of the error:
    Code:
    FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.20-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko': No such file or directory.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): ***Aborting***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    Fatal server error.
    No screens found.
    XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    So, I'm obviously missing a key module to make the nvidia driver (instead of nv driver) work. When I did a modprobe, I got:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -i nvidia
    FATAL: Module nvidia not found
    Adept shows the following "nvidia" files installed:
    Code:
    nvidia-glx-new
    nvidia-kernel-common
    So, I (via adept) reinstalled linux-restrictedmodules-2.6.20-15-generic but that didn't help.

I don't really want to do a complete reinstall but I also don't want to take anymore of your time.

1. Is there a way of getting that module that keeps giving the FATAL error message?
    2. If I have to reinstall, is there a way to keep my /home directory, so I don't lose my personal data (of course I will back up first)?

Thanks.

Ernie Grossmann<br />Opening doors, closing Windows.......<br />AMD Athlon X2<br />Asus K8, 2 GB PC 3200 RAM<br />Using Kubutu 10.10

Comment

no problems, mate, i give my little contribution to the community.
      and, most importantly, i want to get you out of the $h!ty creek... >
      it's not reinstallation time yet.

things went as expected, i'd say...
      the nvidia.ko file is missing because the downloaded driver's uninstall has removed that too.
      and --reinstall hasn't helped.

i'd say to do the following (important you do all of this in one shot!!!):
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-15-generic nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-glx-new --purge
      the --purge here is important.

your linux will want to remove (i expect) the following list of packages:
      Code:
      linux-generic
      linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-15-generic
      linux-restricted-modules-generic
      nvidia-glx-new
      nvidia-kernel-common
      if it's very different, then maybe it's safer you post it for me to see...
      otherwise, just copy and paste (and also write down on a piece of paper...for you never know) the list of packages
      then on the next line...install them back
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install <list goes back here>
      make sure your xorg.conf file is still in place alright and then reboot.
      i trust all will be alright.

ps:
      my experiments with dual heading with the lcd-tv went reasonably well.
      due to different monitor ratios, cloning doesn't work well.
      twinview with one thing next to the other, on the contrary, went fine.
      thanks for the idea.
      gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

ps:
        my experiments with dual heading with the lcd-tv went reasonably well.
        due to different monitor ratios, cloning doesn't work well.
        twinview with one thing next to the other, on the contrary, went fine.
        thanks for the idea.
        No, cloning doesn't work well between LCD - TV. However, if all you're doing is displaying slide shows (that's me), it works okay. I'm glad I was able to contribute something to the masses.

I'll let you know how the purge and re-install goes.
        Ernie Grossmann<br />Opening doors, closing Windows.......<br />AMD Athlon X2<br />Asus K8, 2 GB PC 3200 RAM<br />Using Kubutu 10.10

Comment

taking a look at the description of the nvidia-glx-new package,
          i've found this:
          NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver
          These XFree86 4.x/X.Org binary drivers provide optimized hardware acceleration
          of OpenGL applications via a direct-rendering X Server and supports the newer
          GeForce, nForce and Quadro families of NVIDIA chipsets. AGP, TV-out and
          flat panel displays are also supported.

If you have a TNT, TNT2, or older GeForce, you may need the nvidia-glx-legacy
          package instead of this one. If you have a GeForce4, you may need the nvidia-glx
          package.
          then i searched around a bit and i also found this:
          If you have a graphics card that is a Geforce FX, Geforce 6, Geforce 7, Geforce 8, Geforce 6100, or Geforce 6150, then you should use the Nvidia-glx driver.
          and your is a geforce fx5500, isn't it?

now, then...
          while restoring the nvidia-glx-new driver should get you at least back in working shape,
          to sort out the "misteriously disappearing text" issue, you might need to get the legacy,
          or most probably, the regular driver.

let's see if this one shot kills the two birds... :P

cheers
          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

jankushka-

You are a genius! The --purge option did the trick. After purging/installing those packages, I put my xorg.conf file in place and rebooted. My monitor didn't like the OSS driver but I used Automatix to re-install the nvidia driver. A reboot, and I'm back in business!!! I haven't tested the 3D rendering or anything like that, but at least it starts!

I appreciate all of your help -- thanks again.

Comment

You are a genius!
              i would not go that far
              but i'm glad you're back up and running.
              cheers.

ps:
              i'd open a new thread for the samba issue...
              gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

but i'm glad you're back up and running.
                cheers.
                Well, I'm closer. Now the "over range" messages are back and then then the video goes funky. I've tried the low-end and high-end of the range of refresh rates available.

So, now I'm back to where I was before I hosed my X server. It will work fine for several minutes, then go crazy. Any other thoughts are am I just stuck with going back to Linspire (don't really want to but I need a working video solution)?

Comment

you've tried all the 3 drivers available (nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-legacy, nvidia-glx-new), have you?
                  according to the info i found, the proper driver for your board should be: nvidia-glx.
                  just in case you wanted to try, you know how to go about it... :P
                  as for changing distribution.

i can't blame you.
                  if you like linux, but kubuntu doesn't work well enough...
                  after all, there's more in life than spending your time fixing your pc, isn't there?

let me know...
                  gotta go to dinner.
                  cheers.
                  gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

you've tried all the 3 drivers available (nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-legacy, nvidia-glx-new), have you?
                    according to the info i found, the proper driver for your board should be: nvidia-glx.
                    just in case you wanted to try, you know how to go about it... :P
                    Actually, the only ones I've tried are Automatix's nvidia driver and the nvidia-glx-new (and of course the one from nvidia's website which hosed my X server). So far, by disabling the twinview (didn't figure that out right away), this driver's been fairly stable. Kids can't play SuperTuxCart, but they'll just have to do without for now.

If I did want to try the other ones, I would just --purge the nvidia-glx-new and install the basic or legacy driver, right?

Comment

If I did want to try the other ones, I would just --purge the nvidia-glx-new and install the basic or legacy driver, right?
                      yep... 8)
                      gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

yep... 8)
                        Okay. I think these are the last few questions I'm going to ask. If this doesn't work, I'm either leaving it alone or switching back to Linspire.

1) Is the "nvidia-glx" a driver that allows open GL apps to work? It appears the "nv" driver does not.
                        2) How do I get an "NVIDIA kernel module"? I've done a complete purge of the proprietary driver (I think) and the nvidia-glx-new driver. But if I start X with "nvidia" as the driver, it errors out:
                        Code:
                        (II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
                        (II) NVIDIA(0):   enabled.
                        (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
                        (EE) NVIDIA(0):   that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
                        (EE) NVIDIA(0):   that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly. 
                        (EE) NVIDIA(0):   Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
                        (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
                        (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
                        (II) UnloadModule: "ramdac"
                        (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
                        (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
                        So, I'm using the "nv" driver, which (I think) is just a basic driver.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I figured out the kernel problem; it was disabled via /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules. But, now how do I get OpenGL to work (any openGL app locks up system)?

Comment

"nv" is the name of the open source driver written by the community.
                          it has nothing to do with being basic or advanced.
                          it's just an alternative to using the nvidia proprietary drivers.
                          purists of the open source community will argue that one should not run proprietary software.
                          ubuntu (as a distro) has undergone quite a bit of criticism for including the -restricted packages.
                          but that's for another thread...
                          the "nvidia" driver is the proprietary nvidia driver written by, well, by nvidia.
                          here you have the 3 choices: nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-legacy, nvidia-glx-new.
                          that's the name of the software packages you'll find in "adept" (i use synaptic, btw, i hate adept).
                          in the xorg.conf file, the driver's name will be referenced to as "nvidia" no matter which one you use.

1) Is the "nvidia-glx" a driver that allows open GL apps to work? It appears the "nv" driver does not.
                          all of them should, actually.
                          the nvidia-glx will.
                          here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLX
                          and you can benchmark that easily, once you get it installed, by running the following command:
                          Code:
                          glxgears -info
                          which will start an opengl animation and tell you all the extensions your driver has enabled
                          and how many frames per second your box is capable of.
                          glxgears is included in the "mesa-utils" package.
                          my box does an avg of 2100 frames per second, which is not bad.

2) How do I get an "NVIDIA kernel module"?
                          simply by running (i do it from command line 'cause it's a lot faster then from the synaptic gui):
                          Code:
                          apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common
                          I've done a complete purge of the proprietary driver (I think) and the nvidia-glx-new driver. But if I start X with "nvidia" as the driver, it errors out:
                          it probably errors out because, after the purge, you have no nvidia drivers left.
                          you can verify whether or not you have any nvidia stuff still installed by running:
                          Code:
                          dpkg-query -l '*nvidia*'
                          the first 2 letters of each output line will tell whether that specific package is installed or not.
                          again, i do it from command line, but most people use the guis: adept or synaptic or...
                          if you see that neither nvidia-glx, nor nvidia-glx-legacy, nor nvidia-glx-new are installed,
                          then you may want to try and start experimenting with nvidia-glx, which gets installed by running:
                          Code:
                          apt-get install nvidia-glx
                          if that doesn't work as expected (as i told you, i found some stuff that suggests that is your
                          driver but i'm by no means sure about it), you purge it and try the -legacy, and if that doesn't work
                          either you go back the the -new driver with the now perfectly mastered procedure...

if, after all the experiments (and you're putting up with a lot more than the avg user would) you're
                          still stuck with your funky screen, then...well, i've tried...

hth
                          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Well, I appreciate all of your tips -- they have been very educational. But it appears there is a problem with how Kubuntu interacts with my video card. I have no problems in Windows or Linspire (though I prefer to not use either one of those OSes) so it has to be something with the way Kubuntu is written (I guess). The "nv" driver works best, though the "glxgears -info" locks up the system (as does Tux Racer and other graphics-intensive programs).

So, I can use Kubuntu only on a very basic level right now. Hopefully, there will be some updates that will allow me to make full use of my graphics card. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                            X