X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beryl Window Manager Problems

I know I've been asking a lot of questions... Sorry if I'm annoying

Anyway, I installed Beryl somehow. I have no idea how I did it. But it's installed. It works great except for a few minor problems.

1.Sometimes if a window is large (eg maximized), it turns all black except for the border (only when I have beryl running). It seems to happen about 20% of the time with windows like System Settings or Adept Manager. If that happens, I either have to keep the windows small, reboot, or turn off Beryl (which is annoying). How would I fix it?

Ehhh, forget this question. I think I still want KWin to be default and just run Beryl sometimes 2.Whenever I boot up, KWin is always the default Window Manager. I set up Beryl to automatically run on startup, but it still uses KWin until I turn Beryl on.

3.For some reason, Ctrl Alt Esc doesn't work when I'm running Beryl

EDIT: 4. I just installed some updates, and now this window called Adept Notifier keeps popping up when I run Beryl and it won't go away. It's a little green ball in a tiny window in the top left corner of my screen. SOLVED. All I needed to do was right click and choose "quit". I wonder why it wouldn't quit when I right clicked it on the taskbar and chose "close"...

5.To do the 3D cube thing (multiple desktops), I have to hold down the middle mouse button. It doesn't seem to work unless I middle click the desktop, though. Is there a way to make it work no matter where I middle click? Because if I have a window maximized, I have to minimize it to use the 3D multiple desktop cube thingy.

6.This one really isn't a problem, but I thought I might as well post it if I was posting a topic. Whenever I do KMenu-Log out, either the screen turns all black or it does this weird thing where it shows black, then black disappears and then my desktop appears again. Sometimes it will make my desktop turn black and white and then the logout menu disappears.

It still works to shut down or whatever, it just looks weird...

7.Random question - I don't care if this gets answered or not, I was just wondering:
    As far as I can tell, Edgy Eft was the previous release, 6.10. But, this forum says that Dapper Drake 6.04 was the previous release. And also, how come they have Dapper on the download page but not Edgy? I was pretty sure that "edgy" was the previous release.

Re: Beryl Window Manager Problems

Originally posted by d41
    1.Sometimes if a window is large (eg maximized), it turns all black except for the border (only when I have beryl running). It seems to happen about 20% of the time with windows like System Settings or Adept Manager. If that happens, I either have to keep the windows small, reboot, or turn off Beryl (which is annoying). How would I fix it?
    this might help:
    http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/T..._of_them_black

Originally posted by d41
    5.To do the 3D cube thing (multiple desktops), I have to hold down the middle mouse button. It doesn't seem to work unless I middle click the desktop, though. Is there a way to make it work no matter where I middle click? Because if I have a window maximized, I have to minimize it to use the 3D multiple desktop cube thingy.
    i don't know, but it should all be configurable in the beryl settings manager.
    i have tried beryl for some 10 days, then removed it.
    it doesn't add anything to my desktop except for problems.
    to revolve the cube i remember i used to use ctrl-alt-left/right arrow or ctrl-alt-first mouse button

Originally posted by d41
    7.Random question - I don't care if this gets answered or not, I was just wondering:
    As far as I can tell, Edgy Eft was the previous release, 6.10. But, this forum says that Dapper Drake 6.04 was the previous release. And also, how come they have Dapper on the download page but not Edgy? I was pretty sure that "edgy" was the previous release.
    this should help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(Linux_distribution)#Releases
    btw, release numbers simply indicate Y.MM

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

OK, thanks.

Anyway, now I have a new problem. Suddenly the KMenu started doing this weird thing where it puts strange borders around it. I didn't change anything. And it's not only when I'm running Beryl, it still does it even if I turn off Beryl. It's really annoying...

Also there's this weird ugly border around the K in the bottom-left corner. (only sometimes)

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention - it leaves the borders behind...

Comment

that looks like aquamarine actually.
        it's the black shadow border you normally get.
        you should also see it around windows...

as for the border being left behind,
        it doesn't do it on my box.
        so, it's a sw issue with your config.
        maybe a bug or maybe a settings issue.

cheers.
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

d41, you're now deep into "window decorations" and "window decorators" -- that is not KDE doing it, it is Beryl. Here are a couple of pointers, referring up to your earlier questions:

1. You can "grab" the cube by holding down Ctrl-Alt and take your mouse up to the vicinity of either top corner of your screen (but not clear to the corner), and "pull" the cube around.

2. On your red Beryl icon, if you right-click it, you will see a menu. Toward the bottom are "Window Decorator" and "Reload Window Decorator". If you click Window Decorator, you will see that you have a choice of a couple of decorators -- as jankushka said, it appears that you have Aquamarine selected. You might want to check out Emerald as well. Just select it, and then click "Reload Window Decorator", and then notice the new window tops and border scheme. Also on your Beryl Manager menu, more toward the top, are "Window Manager" and "Reload Window Manager". If you select Window Manager, you will see that you have a choice between KDE and Beryl. Kinda self-explanatory, I hope. If you want to change from Beryl to KDE, just select KDE and then click "Reload Window Manager". Or, you can click "Quit" at the bottom of the Beryl menu, and you will go back to KDE as well. Although, in what appears to be a bug, my Beryl cube isn't disabled when I quit Beryl, even though the icon disappears from the taskbar/panel.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Oh.... The reason it still did it was because when I quit Beryl it still stayed on even though it was gone from the taskbar... I found I need to choose KWin and then quit it.

For the border things in Beryl, the weird ones only appear in menus. (KMenu, right click menu). I used Beryl for a while and it never did that. It like half covers up all the icons. The borders around the windows look different --they are just shadows. http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aughlh3.png

For the black window problem, it says that it runs out of video memory when it does that. I have 256MB shared video memory. Isn't that plenty??

Also, I tried both Emerald and Aquamarine. I preferred Aquamarine. Is there some reason that I should use Emerald instead?

jankushka - what is sw?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by d41
              For the black window problem, it says that it runs out of video memory when it does that. I have 256MB shared video memory. Isn't that plenty??
              it is if applications are written properly.
              if there's a bug for which memory is not freed after use (i.e., a memory leak),
              then it's easy to use up all your memory very quickly...

Originally posted by d41
              Also, I tried both Emerald and Aquamarine. I preferred Aquamarine. Is there some reason that I should use Emerald instead?
              don't think so.

Originally posted by d41
              jankushka - what is sw?
              oops, sorry, it's short for SoftWare... :P
              gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Originally posted by d41
                Is there some reason that I should use Emerald instead?
                In my case, it is "YES", because Emerald works and Aquamarine doesn't.

You might want to try Emerald long enough to see if it makes a difference on your system.

Comment

OK, I tried Emerald. You're right, it does work a lot better. But... it's so ugly... is there some way I can make it look like the normal windows in the normal Kubuntu window manager? EDIT: I found a thing in "Emerald Theme Manager" that lets me choose a different theme. I can find a better one than the default, but is there some way I can make it look the same as it looks when I'm not running Beryl?

Even with Emerald, I am still getting that black screen bug... If I open three maximized Firefox windows, one of them is black. It's very annoying and makes it almost unusable...... I've tried fiddling with tons of Beryl's settings and I cannot seem to fix it.

Comment

I think the "black spots/windows" problem is related to video memory limits -- I've seen posts to that effect here and in Ubuntu Forum. I haven't had to deal with it, so you'll need to chase that one. You may be pushing your graphics card past its comfort zone with Beryl.

As far as "pretty" and "ugly", I guess it's all a matter of taste. Yes, in your KMenu>Settings folder is the Emerald Theme Manager. I think that's pretty much the sum total of everything you can do with the window borders under Emerald. In Ubuntu there is a decorator called Heliodor, and I see that it is also in our repository, so you could install that package and give it a spin -- I have never used it. Let us know if you like it!

Comment

I tried going to the "repositories" tab in Emerald Theme Manager, then I click "Fetch Themes," and then a window appears for a second and then disappears.

Comment

I've never tried that, but did you notice the note that says you need the "Subversion" package for the repositories function to work? I just installed subversion with Adept, so we'll see what happens.

Also, I just installed Heliodor and tried it on my Kubuntu system, and it stripped the window borders right off! So far, on my system Emerald works great, Aquamarine kinda-sorta works, and Heliodor is fubar. 8)

Comment

I tried Heliodor. It removes the borders

I installed Subversion, and then did the "fetch themes" thing. It gave me some error message. Then I went to the themes tab and there were about 15 themes there. I can't find one that looks like the standard one in KDE... Is there any way that I can get Emerald to look like Aquamarine? Thanks

Comment

I don't think you're going to find an exact match. If you mean the Aquamarine two-tone blue window top, then I'd say the "sky", the "adonis-mod", and maybe the "crystal-ice" would be candidates. If you don't mind going a little darker, the "komar-blue" looks like it is two-toned, and maybe "slowy" also. How about "empty_skies"?

Comment

Working...
                            X