Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP A POOR CONVERT! I REQUEST A PARDON AND YOUR MERCY!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP A POOR CONVERT! I REQUEST A PARDON AND YOUR MERCY!

I love this thread's topic name...
    Dax Solomon Umaming<br />http://blog.knightlust.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MaddOps770
      Yeah, I think I'm in re-install territory. I can't get ANYTHING to come up.

Kubuntu makes the baby Jake cry.
      Every time I (re)install kubuntu I learn something new. And My system seems to run better. Practice install wasn't far from the truth. Be sure you take notes too. Like where you downloaded a driver or what you did to modify something to make something work right/different. 8)

They say linux/unix is more stable than Windows, but that doesn't take into account the tinkering and tweaking of newbs like us.
      Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

As far as the home machine went, I had to go with Sabayon Linux. Gentoo base (as opposed to Debian) but still with the modified KDE goodness for my operational needs and everything works out of the box. I'm about ready to start adding hardware at random to see if it works.

I will keep Kubuntu at work as my old work machine doesn't like Sabayon, but kubuntu is rock solid.

So it's back to 32Bit and low end hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          If my dismal prediction turns out to be correct (i.e. the infamous nvidia kernel mismatch error), here is the sequence that should get you back to happy:

From the console (aka Command Line Interface or CLI), or character mode terminal for noobs like you and me:

Code:
          sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-new nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-settings
          Code:
          sudo rm /etc/init.d/nvidia-*
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
          Upon getting a satisfactory result (no errors noticed) from that series of commands, then give it this one:

Code:
          sudo shutdown now -r
          And then if all goes well, your system will come up with a green and black Nvidia splash screen immediately prior to presenting you the GUI login screen.

I'm crossing my fingers now ....

That worked ... sort of :

What is with that glx on gutsy ?
          Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Working...
          X