Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone give me guidance on sharing a printer beteen XP and Kubuntu PC's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can anyone give me guidance on sharing a printer beteen XP and Kubuntu PC's?

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04b8:0005 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus Printer

But this one shows up on the USB bus, as you saw in the earlier screenshot.

Comment

Re: Can anyone give me guidance on sharing a printer beteen XP and Kubuntu PC's?

I'm afraid that this won't help much. When I click on the icon for my fully usable, automatically installed HP2200, I find URI:
      usb://HP/LaserJet%202200
      I thought for a moment that perhaps it was device 0 on bus 2, or device two on bus 0, but, in fact, "lsusb" shows that it is actually device 4 on bus 1. The implication of that result is that knowing the device location on the universal serial bus isn't related to the Universal Resource Identifier. Go figure! If I select the interface block in the selected printer dialog, I find an even simpler URI, to whit "usb://hp/Laserjet 2200".

Arguing by analogy (a much abused logical fallacy, loved by politicians) and the information from LinuxPrinting.org you might want to try the URI "usb://hp/Laserjet 5100". That might be as successful as your least favorite politician.

Comment

I suspect even if I did guess the URI right it still wouldn't help.

I tried "Bus 001 Device 007: ID 04da:0f40 Panasonic (Matsu****a)" and I tried usb://hp/Laserjet 5100 and both times I got the error message "The local URI doesn't correspond to a detected port. Continue?"

I think the problem I am not going to get past is that Kubuntu/KDE does not recognise that a printer is connected to the USB port.

Hmm this is getting frustrating.

Comment

I think the problem I am not going to get past is that Kubuntu/KDE does not recognise that a printer is connected to the USB port.
          I think you're right. Two things to try (no promise of success) (1) connect the printer to a different port, and (2) replace the usb cable (They're not very expensive).

Comment

Working...
          X