This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which Kubuntu release to start with

I did look in the beginner forum and I apologize if this has been covered, and I missed it.

I was reading (can't find it now - too many browser windows opened and closed!) that those new to Linux should never start with 7.04 release as it was still Beta. Should I set aside my live CD 7.04 and down load one of the earlier versions for my first foray?

I have a far bit of computer experience, including putting my own PC W2K box together, but the way Linux sets things up is new territory.

Thanks
    Suze in northern BC Canada

Re: which Kubuntu release to start with

In short: for "learing by doing", 07.04 / "Feisty" (or even 07.10 / "Gutsy" ) will be good choice - for working, however, I'd rather settle for 06.10 / "Edgy" ... but that's just my (minority) opinion :P

Comment

Well, at the moment feisty isn't beta anymore, is it?
      The choice is yours. There are some changes in Feisty, compared with Edgy, which I had to get used to (the network manager for example), but if anything is new to you, I wouldn't bother.
      You can go for Feisty (the newest) or Dapper (latest Long-time support version) or of course Edgy if you like. I just wouldn't go to an older version than Dapper, that's for sure.

If you would like to play with a beta-version (gutsy, let's say), that's fine. You just have to realise that it's a beta, and if things go wrong, it's not just Linux or Kubuntu in itself that "goes wrong". So don't let beta-issues be a reason to switch back to M$.

If your 7.04 is a beta version, I'd personally download a stable version. If it's stable, I see no convincing reasons to trash it or leave it aside for now.

Comment

Thank-you, I didn't think I would have downloaded a Beta over a stable release! May-be I'll play with a beta when I get to feeling invincible

Suze

Comment

Originally posted by Stafke
          feisty isn't beta anymore
          It's supposed to be (not) :P

Comment

Working...
          X