This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing lock-up :(

Hey guys i'm trying to install ubuntu alternative due to the error i was getting with the non-alternative version due to my ati gfx card. But every time i try to install it locks-up at wvdial(79%). Is there a way to skip installing this file and what does this file do and could i try installing after the rest is installed.
    thx 1337PSPer

Re: Installing lock-up

Are you sure the CD is written without errors? If not, just make a new copy, and please, keep your writing speed at minimum, just to make sure

Comment

Ok i will do that after school tomorrow but do you know were i can find the md5 checksum for the iso file so i can work out where its going corrupt if it is going corrupt somewhere at all.
      thx

Comment

You can find the value of all (*)buntu md5sums at this page in the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki. If you need to see how to generate an md5sum, check out this page at the same site.. Be sure to read down all the way to the bottom on the second wiki page. It describes how to get the md5sums of all the programs on the CD, so that you can check your burn as well as your download.

Comment

ok, i have done a check disk by boot linux cd. i have done a checksum on the downloaded iso, and have done a checksum on a iso made from the making iso from the cd all passed
          what step should i take now.

Comment

Does the install lockup while trying to install wvdial? The irony is that unless you actually use a dialup internet connection, you don't need wvdial. Moreover, for some reason, both kubuntu-desktop , the package that installs KDE, and Ubuntu-desktop, the package that install Gnome, DEPEND on wvdial. i.e. you can't get rid of it until after you've installed your desktop environment, even if I knew how to bypass its installation.

The nice thing about the alternate installer is that does give error messages. Are you getting some cryptic error message saying that something is not found or not responding? If so, please copy it down EXACTLY (if you can) and post it in your response to this message.

Comment

i don't get a error it just hangs on 79% i left it for 30min, should i try leaving it over night or should it only take a few seconds??
              is 6.06 still a good Linux install and can i still install beryl

Comment

I watch this forum and Ubuntu Forums, and I must say I have never heard another case of this problem when installing. This makes me suspect the CD ROM image. I would burn a new one (same Alternate Install image), and try it again, before you give up.

Yes, 6.06 and 6.10 will both run Beryl, but you can expect some "tweaking" since Beryl is new software.

Comment

ok, its not the cd image because i try that wubi install which use the iso not the a cd and it locked up at the same place. I have a second laptop i'll give it a try on that it may be a issue with my laptop if that the case i will be really unhappy.

Comment

Ok i think i have some info that will help you guys help me (i hope).
                    so here it goes i tried a Linux a couple more times this time getting to 85% before locking up.
                    nowhere is the useful part i read somewhere that alt-F4 will give you more information on whats happening so here it what it says
                    May 28.... in-target: Setting up wvdial(1.56-1.1ubuntu2) ...
                    May 28.... Obsolete command TITLE Configuring wvdial called
                    May 28.... kernel: [ 731.288000] serial8250: too much work for irq4
                    May 28.... kernel: [ 731.584000] serial8250: too much work for irq4
                    May 28.... kernel: [ 731.804000] serial8250: too much work for irq4

Please tell me that helps sort out the problem.

Comment

This is just a shot in the dark, based on the fact that your error message says that it has "too much work for IRQ 4". Use the alternate install CD. Hit the F6 key and then type in "noapic" when you get a ':'. If that works, you'll have to do a little editing on your /boot/grub/menu.lst file once you get the system installed.

Another possible solution would be to remove your telephone modem, if you're not using it. It may be that the modem card is the thing that's overloading irq4.

LATER: A bit of googling indicated that the Intel 8250 is indeed a UART chip. From that fact, I draw two conclusions, to whit: (1) You are one of the fortunate few who has a REAL modem in your computer instead of a Winmodem. This implies that, if you really needed to, you could actually get on to the web in Linux. and (2) Removing the modem will probably get your system working. Then you can try re-installing the card after getting Linux installed.

Comment

Would disabling in the BIOS do the trick? Being a laptop it's not a option to physically remove it from the computer. As i don't have the skill or the guts to open up my brand new laptop.
                        thanks for the info, if i don't get a reply by the time i finish school i might just give it a go.

Comment

The one thing that isn't addressed/stated, is how 1337PSPer is actually connecting to the Internet. If it isn't by a modem dial-up connection (using a DSL modem?), then can't the problem be avoided, by not selecting the option during setup, the dial-up option?
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have ADSL on a wireless LAN i may also connect to the LAN by Ethernetat some points.

Comment

Then I would suggest not selecting the modem connection during the installation processes.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X