This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't login to Kubuntu!!

I installed Kubuntu and started up and started adding new programs. Then the next day Kubuntu loaded. It's get to the login screen i type my user name and password everythings correct. I click enter then it will load and go to a black screen for a few moments then u will see the mouse and etc. but right after it goes straight back to the login in screen. Can some1 help me with this problem. Please help me!!

Re: I can't login to Kubuntu!!

If you see a Boot menu when you turn on your computer quickly (you have only 3 - 10 seconds) hit the down arrow so that you get to "recovery mode". This will give you a black and white full screen console. Enter your password when requested. Then enter the command "startx" (without the quotes). Either you will get to a Kubuntu graphical login, or you will get one or (maybe, many) more error messages. Copy the error messages if you can, then post them in a reply to this thread. Someone will be able to help you.

Comment

I have/had the same right now, and the "startx"took me straight to kubuntu desktop. I am wondering now, if I will be able to book normally again?
      Also "recovery mode" did not ask my password. and now I am logged in as root and not as my username.

EDIT:
      I went back to regular mode and I still get the black window after my password, and then send me back to log in
      Let me add that during Kubunt boots up, right before login screen I get to see the black screed similar to the recovery mode and is asking me for my username.

Comment

I get to see the black screed[sic] similar to the recovery mode and is asking me for my username.
        Enter your username, then your password (if requested). Then enter the command "startx". Please copy THE EXACT WORDING of any error messages that you see and post them here.

Comment

I have the same problem and I did "startx" but x start normally and I got into KDE :|
          Could it be because I did this?

1. open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add to Section "Device":
          Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"

2. open /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc and uncomment/add this line:
          TerminateServer=true
          Anyway I have formatted and I'll try not to do this (unless it's needed) until I update my kernel version with aptitude

Comment

@noloman: I don't know where you got that advice or why, but if it worked for you, that's great.

Comment

CrossOver, I've exactly the same problem as you. Everything have been worked perfectly with my system. Everything turned to hell now when I did try to connect my projector (via my receiver) to my ATI X1950XTX card. Before I used my TV as the secondary screen for movies via the SVIDEO output. Now with the projector I'm using the secondary DVI-output (I'm having two DVI-connectors on my graphicscard). First I didn't get any picture on my projector what so ever. Then I switches places of the DVI-connectors for my computer screen and my projector. Everything worked well. But when shutting down the computer yesterday and starting it up today, I got the same issues as you CrossOver. I've been trying to start the XServer from the console (from recovery mode) with the startx-command, but it doesn't succeed with that, I get these error messages:

(ww) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found

I think this warning message quite normal, I don't think this is the issue. I got this other message:

Waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

These are the only essential messages I get. I don't know what to do and what the problem is. For now I have to use Windows XP.

Please help me!

System: Kubuntu Feisty 7.04 with KDE 3.5.7
              ATI drivers: 8.40.4

PS.
              I'm a little confused. Which DVI-connector should I use the primary output, and which one for the secondary output?
              DS.

Comment

UPDATE!
                I was trying this at the login screen:
                * CTRL+ALT+F1 (getting to the console login screen)
                * sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                * startkde

I got some messages about not enough space from startkde.
                Yesterday I did extract a big file from a compressed archive before I turned of the computer.
                I deleted the extracted content and tried the command startx now. HALLELUJA! It worked!

It's a little odd the the system didn't warn med that I extracted a file exceeding the left diskspace, hmmm.

Comment

I got some messages about not enough space from startkde.
                  Yesterday I did extract a big file from a compressed archive before I turned of the computer.
                  I deleted the extracted content and tried the command startx now. HALLELUJA! It worked!

It's a little odd the the system didn't warn med that I extracted a file exceeding the left diskspace, hmmm.
                  Yes, this is known (?) problem .
                  Topic: Kubuntu fails to give an out of memory warning
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086089.0

More:
                  Topic: Booting till X-windows' black screen - no KDE, not responding
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085948.0
                  The problem was actually lack of memory of the partition where /home/user was.
                  Deleting some very large back-up files/dirs gave me enough space.
                  Topic: FAQ: Free Disk Space
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086353.0

Topic: HOWTO : Repairing xorg.conf
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0
                  Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                  1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                  2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                  X