This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firefox 1.5

Sorry to hear about your continued problems with FF 1.5. Perhaps you should try getting the older version of FF working first:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox
    which should install everything you need to get FF up and running. Then follow the link as previously mentioned to upgrade to 1.5.

As for deleting things above your home directory, that can be dangerous. It's why the developers of U/Kubuntu went with the sudo thing. There is plenty of discussion in these forums and the forums at Ubuntuforums.org about that philosophy. I don't know how to get Konqueror in root mode but there's another GUI file manager called Krusader that you can log in as root mode and do what you want.

Comment

Thanks for helping but it still doesn't work. Very strange. But the file libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 exist in my /usr/lib folder. So I don't know why firefox-bin can't find it. I've played a little with the scripts "firefox" and "run-mozilla.sh" but I haven't found anything that seems to affect this problem. And when I'm running ldd, the .so files that are not found exist in the /opt/firefox-folder. Very strange...

Also I've reinstalled the system to check if may work, but that didn't help too.

I'lll give up now, waiting to install it till it exist in Adept.

Comment

Did you try installing the version that's in Adept (or Synaptic)? I think it's probably 1.0.7. That should work.

Let us know.

Comment

Yeah, it works fine v.1.0.7.

But the personality of mine is that I have to have the latest of everything.

Comment

I hear you. I like the latest and greatest too. Especially when it comes to FF because ver. 1.5 really rocks vs. ver. 1.0.7 ... especially in U/Kubuntu!

In the link for installing FF 1.5 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion), under notes at the top it says:

You need package 'libstdc++5' installed.

You said in an earlier reply that you have:

Edit: I have libstdc6++ installed.

But these two packages are not the same (or is that a typo in your edit?)!!!

Still something up!

Comment

I didn't do any "typo". I had only ibstdc6++ installed. I installed now libstdc5++ but the problem still persists. :P

Edit: I'm using Firefox for i686 on x86-64

Comment

OK! I downloaded the x86-distribution of Kubuntu and installed it. NOW Firefox 1.5 works. Firefox didn't like the 64-bit version!

I'm glad that it have been a little struggle, because I've learned great things in small time.

:P

PS

Hmmm, I feel more and more for Konqueror...

Comment

HOORAY!!!!

I had a feeling it had something to do with 64-bit but didn't know what. And it seems strange that the 64-bit version doesn't work on a 64-bit machine! I wonder if others with 64-bit machines are experiencing this? I wouldn't know as I'm still stuck in 32-bit land (Athlon XP 3000+).

Comment

Originally posted by footer
                    I don't know how to get Konqueror in root mode <SNIP>
                    Try sudo konqueror in a terminal.

Thanks for the link to installing Firefox 1.5. I was getting quite frustrated before I came across this thread :-) Just needed to install the libraries. Next time I will search the Kubuntu forums before spending too much time at the Mozilla site.

Comment

Originally posted by carlossus
                      Originally posted by footer
                      I don't know how to get Konqueror in root mode <SNIP>
                      Try sudo konqueror in a terminal.
                      Or
                      Code:
                      kdesu konqueror
                      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
                      X