X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting dual boot with Windows/Kubuntu already installed

Hello,
    For the last 3 days I have been trying to install kubuntu and setup my laptop so it can dual boot with Windows XP and Kubuntu.

But what I found is Kubuntu loaded okay, but when I try to boot into Windows it booted into The Windows Logo and then back into the boot menu that has Windows and Kubuntu

So my question without formatting the Harddrive, Installing Windows and Kubuntu again.

How do I setup my laptop to dual boot?

PS What I found on some sudo or grub screen was hda2 (Kubuntu) was first and hda1 (windows) was 2nd.

Re: Setting dual boot with Windows/Kubuntu already installed

Long time, no help ...

OK, it sounds like you did it in the same sequence that I did (Windows first, Kubuntu second), but got an unhappy result. Here is what I would do, if I had your problem -- hope this gives your some ideas:

1. Open a Konsole window and type
    Code:
    sudo fdisk /mbr
    , reboot, to see if I'm just plain lucky.

2. Study up thoroughly on how to set up a dual Windows and Kubuntu system here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

3. Make a GParted live CD, by downloading the ISO image from here:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

4. Back up my data on CDs or DVDs or a different hard drive or somewhere safe (you can get to your Windows data using the Windows installation CD, if you can't see the partition from Kubuntu).

5. Use my GParted CD to make new partitions of the size and type that I really wanted in the first place. I highly recommend planning your Kubuntu installation to be in 3 partitions: / {the root system partition}, /home, and the mandatory / {swap}. More information on that here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

I recommend / be no less that 6 GB, /{swap} can be twice your RAM or 1GB, whichever is smaller, and /home can be the rest of your remaining uncommitted disk space.

I also recommend setting the one where Windows goes to be "active" or "bootable" or whatever the appropriate option is termed. It technically could be a different partition, but the Kubuntu Grub installer still seems to have a special love for the partition where Windows lives, so I don't fight it.

6. Once the hard drive(s) are set up with GParted, then install Windows, and when that's all done, then install Kubuntu, directing the use of your partitions for /, /home, and / {swap}, and let it put the Grub installer where it naturally wishes. Your best bet for directing the setup in your planned partitions is the Kubuntu Alternate CD.

7. At the conclusion of this process, let the computer reboot as directed (removing your Alternate CD), and I predict you'll get a boot menu that actually works as needed.

Good luck with it! 8)

Comment

Sounds like it's caught in "Inaccessible Boot Device" reboot loop. This happens when you change the partition number in a third party partition software, or if you change your motherboard. You can reboot using the XP CD (if you have it) and then when the setup screen comes up choose "R" for recovery console. Pick the disk that has your windows install by number and hit enter. If there is an admin password set up type it and hit enter, otherwise, hit enter. Do NOT run "fixmbr", run fixboot first. I would also try "bootcfg /r" and when prompted what name your installation is type (minus quotes) "Microsoft Windows XP <Home Edition or Professional whichever you have>" and it will attempt to tell windows that there is a new partition number (i.e. partition2) that has a windows install on it. This is never very fun, but two things you can do in windows to help diagnose things:

1. In your system properties under "Startup and Recovery" uncheck "Automatically Reboot" when it pertains to errors.
      2. Move your Linux partition to the END of the disc so the windows partition isn't modified other than to resize it.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by miwarlock002
        diagnose things:

1. In your system properties under "Startup and Recovery" uncheck "Automatically Reboot" when it pertains to errors.
        2. Move your Linux partition to the END of the disc so the windows partition isn't modified other than to resize it.

Hope this helps.
        Thanks for yours and anyone help, but I might read somewhere that you put the Linux onto either first or 2nd partition so both Windows and Linux can share FAT16?

But I decided to remove Linux and use only Windows, so how do I do it without not removing Windows (apart from Linux) and what I have on the hard drive such as files?

Comment

Thanks for yours and anyone help, but I might read somewhere that you put the Linux onto either first or 2nd partition so both Windows and Linux can share FAT16?
          Where did you read that?

As far as I know fat16 was sent to the pasture about 10 yrears ago.

PS What I found on some sudo or grub screen was hda2 (Kubuntu) was first and hda1 (windows) was 2nd.
          What does that mean. winxp loves the first partition. Both of the above suggestions should work. If you don't want reinstall wn, do a rescue. Then install feisty according to dibl.

Good luck
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
          X