This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to Kubuntu 7 / Need Help

Although I posted a few times asking for help, I was never able to get all the details I need. I do appreciate any help given, and I hope this time I get all the possible info and answers here on this thread. I have tried to switch to linux, was not happy but here I am again trying and won't quit. I hope in light of this you linux gurus can assist a new fellow in town to switch smoothly and without the temptation to go back to Windows. While I'm not a MS hater nor have anything against Vista, I would not mind trying linux to get the free software and better performance if so.

Microsoft Intellipoint Wireless 6000 Laser Mouse. Any driver for that? When I'm scrolling in Firefox, the scroll speed is too fast. Back button does not work either. Any modifications need to get the full functionality working including back button, zoom button, wheel button (scrolling and button functions)?

Creative Soundblaster Live! 24-bit External (USB). Any drivers for this, with full 5.1 capability, ** with nothing lacking ** ?

Best font quality possible, as close to Windows as possible? I remember one method, a popular one but did not seem to work well. Fonts were not sharp and crisp in Linux compared to XP or Vista. I've enabled sub-pixelling (full) and all, RGB, 96 dpi, etc. with default Sans Serif 9pt, was not crisp. Please explain best possible method, settings, tweaks, etc. to replicate as much as I can to Windows. Its critical for me.

Please use my personal site as reference. www.talkjesus.com
    I would appreciate if you provide a full screen shot of the home page including shoutbox and let me know exactly what font settings you have (please provide as much detail as possible including font type, settings, etc). I attached a screenshot to show you the nice Windows quality I'm used to on Vista (or XP). It also looks fine on brothers MAC OSX, but sadly not in Linux by default from past experience.

For a Linux newbie coming from Windows, now ready to install official Kubuntu (or Ubuntu) 7 when its released on the 19th, what recommended software do you recommend? Also, is Beryl / Compaz part of Kubuntu (or Ubuntu) 7 by default? What software managers should I install to enable the easiest possible quick downloads/install of software without the need to learn command line? I heard of Automatix 2 recent release, which likely explains why their site is down now.

Windows software alternatives you recommend for the below

- roboform (I need an alternative that can handle complete form fillers with custom fields, password generators, password saver, etc)
    - avg anti-virus
    - roxio digital media studio deluxe (including burning audio, dvd, iso, mp3, data, etc)
    - ms expression web (critical for me as I use this often, anyone tried with WINE?)
    - secure crt (very important, I use this very often and its feature rich)

I've used Windows all my life, since the days of 3.x, currently Vista (nice interface). What in your opinions is the hottest theme out there with the most richest quality? Ubuntu's default interface is ok in my opinion, not horrible but I do have to admit I like some eye candy and real crisp to the quality of the theme.

My Specs Below. Please let me know if any necessary or recommended tweaks needed be done, including special drivers.

Sony Vaio Laptop
    Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz
    2GB Memory
    Main Partition: Vista Ultimate
    Creative Soundblaster Live! 24-bit External USB
    Intel 945GM / 950 Chipset
    15.4" Widescreen (1280x800)
    Intellipoint Wireless Laser 6000 Mouse

Re: Newbie to Kubuntu 7 / Need Help

hello friend,

...assist a new fellow in town to switch smoothly...
    never heard of a smooth switch to Linux, thats the beauty of it I guess..
    seems like you have a lot of reading to do..

good luck

tldp I found is a great souce of varied documentation.

Comment

A good book for new folks who want to get quickly up the learning curve is:

Beginning Ubuntu Linux, by Keir Thomas

Comment

I wish I had bookmarked what I found the other night, but I can locate it again and I'll repost this evening.

If your Sony Vaio came preinstalled (OEM) with Windows Vista, you need to be careful. There are howto's on installing Linux with Windows Vista, but what I've seen deal with doing a Windows Vista 'installation' followed by installing Linux (dual boot). Windows Vista (OEM) uses the entire PC harddisk. Repartitioning must be done carefully or you risk losing data and/or the OS.

[added:] I'm attaching a .pdf file (printed from Windowshelp) that answers the question "Can I repartion my hard disk?" As for any 'changes' to a formated OS installed HD, read carefully and completely, and don't act if you aren't absolutely sure.
        Attached Files
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Why do you want to switch to Linux?.

You have two blocking things here, fonts (they are not going to be same that windows never) and ms expression.

If it's out of curiosity and you are some kind of web developer/creator it could be better to learn linux as a server tool. When you are hooke... errrr experienced, switching your desktop will be easier .

Javier.

Comment

Windows software alternatives you recommend for the below

[...]
            - avg anti-virus
            [...]
            Actually, Grisoft has a linux version of AVG anti-virus, so you can continue using that.

- Delphi

Comment

the fonts you require are installed via synaptic and are called ...
              msttcorefonts

for the mouse open system settings > mouse > advanced
              change the setting for "mouse wheel scrolls by"
              there are a few other settings within that page

AVG is available for Linux but you could try KlamAV
              K3B will/should meet all your burning needs

the rest i am still looking for replacements ...

Comment

Working...
              X