This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't start firefox

I'm very new at this, I just installed kubuntu today, and everything was working fine until I decided I wanted to use firefox.

So I downloaded firefox from the website, untared it, but nothing seem to happen if I try to open "firefox". If I type
    Code:
    sudo ./firefox
    at the console, I get an error saying:
    ./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I tried finding this library, or getting from somewhere online, but was unsuccessful.
    What should I do?

Re: Can't start firefox

Untarring doesn't install.

Firefox is an available package that can be requested for installation using the Adept Manager (K Menu > System > Adept Manager Manage Packages)

In the searchbox type firefox. Right-click on the package name and click the Request Install button.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

G'day, kanima,

This link will give you some information about installing software. There are also other useful tips on the side to look at as well.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Hope this is some help to you
      Enjoy
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

The words sudo and firefox should never be next to each other.

This link will help you get on the right track:
        http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Actually, I had found those two links and tried doing what they said, but it didn't work, so I'd assumed I was doing it all wrong (which is why I posted here).

However, I followed the instructions again and it still didn't work.
          sudo aptitude install firefox gives me:
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree... Done
          Reading extended state information
          Initializing package states... Done
          Building tag database... Done
          No candidate version found for firefox
          No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
          0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
          Writing extended state information... Done
          I've tried installing other software and I get the same thing.

I've had problems with Adept, too.
          For starters, I can't find any package that is actually firefox. The closest I get is "mozilla-firefox-locale-en-gb (which is already installed). Trying to install pretty much anything with adept messes up too.

When I request install, the requested state changes to "BREAK (install)". I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen or not.

Either way, when I hit apply changes, I get:
          There was an error committing changes. There was possibly a problem downloading some packages, or else the commit would break packages.
          Thanks a lot for any help to any of these problems (that is, getting firefox working, get adept or apt-get working, etc.)

Comment

Ok, it is most probably that you need to enable some extra repositories in order to make firefox and the dependencies available for download and install.

Please check the next link, even its focused on Ubuntu it can also be applied to Kubuntu

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy

Regards,

MepisReign
            Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Well, that worked pretty well.

I had already uncommented the two two universal sources lines in sources.list, but following these instructions I managed to install firefox (at least, I can now see it in K Menu --> Internet

edit: nevermind, I had a problem but fixed it.

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped.

Comment

Working...
              X