This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install a tar.gz file I transferred off a usb key

Major help needed. I want to install support using ndiswrapper for a d-link wireless usb. I extracted it to my user directory. However, I cannot make head nor tail of the installation notes on the web. They tell of using a "make" command:

Installing ndiswrapper:

Go to the directory holding your ndiswrapper, and run:

sudo make install

According to what I'm told - "make" is not a command.

Other notes say I need to install the build-essential in order to use the make command.

I write: "sudo apt-get install build-essential"

Next the I get this:

"E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable0
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    Reading package lists .....Done
    Building dependency tree...Done
    Initializing package states...Done
    Building tage database...Done
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?"

When I then try and use the "make" command it is still not recognised

Trying to re run the build-essential stuff just gives the reply:

"E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable0
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?"

And the "make" command still doesn't work...geez I am such a noob at this...help please...

Re: How to install a tar.gz file I transferred off a usb key

you seem to be running some other dpkg application (aptitude,apt,adept,synaptic).
    try using ksysguard to close it if it is not visible. Or end the session and start a new one. that should help
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

OK, thank you for that help..I killed an apt process and I didn't get all the errors whilst installing build-essential - except - it just says now:

"Reading package lists...Done
      Building dependency tree...Done
      E: Couldn't find package build-essential"

Oops?

Comment

Try this:
        Code:
        sudo apt-cdrom add
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils build-essential
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I have not done this on my kubuntu box since it connects to network using an ethernet cable. On my laptop using dlink dwl-g650+ and zenwalk linux, I got things working using

http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,6781.0.html

You will have to adapt it to work in kubuntu.

john

Comment

Originally posted by naughtyme
            Major help needed. I want to install support using ndiswrapper for a d-link wireless usb. I extracted it to my user directory. However, I cannot make head nor tail of the installation notes on the web. They tell of using a "make" command:

Installing ndiswrapper:

Go to the directory holding your ndiswrapper, and run:

sudo make install

According to what I'm told - "make" is not a command.
            I don't see a need of using make command. I've written a blog post on how to install ndiswrapper and install windows drivers for d-link adapters. Have a look at it and you may figure an answer

http://kasunbg.blogspot.com/2010/02/...ork-under.html

HTH
            --------<br />Kasun Gajasinghe,<br />University of Moratuwa,<br />Sri Lanka.<br /><br />Blog: http://kasunbg.blogspot.com<br />Twitter: http://twitter.com/kasunbg

Comment

Working...
            X