This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bigpond nextg wireless

Hello. Have just started looking into Linux/Ubuntu and would like advice on the Bigpond wireless desktop modem BP3-EXT. Have read the quozle page lots of times, and can't quite make out the method. Tried a few of the things there without success ... don't quite understand it sufficiently I suspect. Is there any process to follow that is clear for a total linux newbie to make it work? Ideally something that has no choices to make .... just a step by step article or something?
    Would be greatly appreciated if somebody could advise.
    Thanks P

Re: bigpond nextg wireless

Have you solved this? I am a newbie also and can't get the Modem working.
    What I have done is to login as Admin.
    Konsole---sudo su----password
    insmod---(quozls command but make sure you insert the correct name of your linux Kernel by finding the file usbserial.ko then inserting the correct name into the command line.
    ask the usbserial module to adopt the device, for example:

insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/\
    drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko \
    vendor=0x16d8 product=0x6280

If you check media/hda6/lib/modules-- you will find 2.6.18.2-34-default or something similar.

Unfortunately I have trouble with my on board USB port and had to install a PCi card which linux is not recognising properly.
    Try the above to see if it works for you.

Comment

Gday rossco ... have messed around with this for ages. removed ubuntu, and istalled kbuntu cos it has kppp module ... easier to work. I have the system seeing the modem, and dialling, and logging in to network. Then it dies with an Exit 16 message, which means modem hung up. Has taken many hours to get so far as nobody seems to have the answer. There are a couple of ppl on the ubuntu forum that have made it work, but to get somebody to just type in the list of commands you have to put into terminal is hard. Other thing is that whenever restart ... gotta type in all the insmod lines again ... must be a way to make that stay there. Anyhow, the answer is no ... not working, but may do some more experimenting. Windows is too easy really I suppose.
      Cheers P

Comment

I know absolutely nothing about wireless, so I can't comment on rosco99's instructions. i can tell you how to get the lines that you need to type in every time you reboot, typed automagically.

The last thing that the Linux boot process does before displaying the login prompt, is to run a script called /etc/rc.local. When you install Kubuntu that script contains no executable commands other than "return 0" which makes it return without an error indicator. The idea is that you will place any crucial steps that have to be run only for your machine, like those insmod lines, in here directly above the return 0 line.

My only reservation about this suggestion is that, since you're messing around with the kernel (which requires Administrator privileges), you may need sudo. That means, it might stop and wait for you to respond to a password request that you can't see because, by default, (*)buntu logs up without displaying all those kernel messages that confuse new users. That will make it look as if your machine is freezing on bootup. Therefore, once you're sure you've got things right, enter the appropriate lines in /etc/rc.local, and then remove the word "quiet" from the "#defoptions" line in /etc/boot/menu.lst. Please post here again if you need detailed instructions for modifying /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Comment

hello askreiger .... perhaps you can advise a bit here. Am using a maxon BP3-EXT wireless modem which plugs into USB port. I have spent ages messing with ubuntu and no success. I tried kubuntu which has the KPPP module and it makes for easy setup. I got to the point where it says "connected" and then it disconnects with an "error 16" msg.
          do you have any ideas on that? or is there things to do like in ubuntu to have the modem recognised.
          Seems to be many ppl trying to get this to work ... maybe somebody that knows how could type out a script to make all the mods, which could just be copy & paste into a terminal screen
          cheers
          Pb

Comment

As I said above, I know absolutely nothing about wireless. I even hook up my laptop with a wired ethernet connection. It appeared to me that rosco99 had solved the problem and that your only problem was not knowing how to avoid typing in all that stuff every time that you booted up. So, I answered the part that I DO understand, where to type it in ONCE and have it run every time that you boot up.

Comment

Working...
            X