This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kismet - uClibc++ - Ncurses

Hey, i'm very new to linux ... I installed Kubuntu, which is working fine but I'd to install Kismet.

I tried to install kismet but I've got the error that I needed uClibc++

While trying to install uClibc++ and use "make menuconfig" I've got the error that I needed Ncurses.

Now I tried to install Ncurses and I got this error (after succesfully done the ./configure and ./make i get this when doing "make install"):

kubuntu@kubuntu:~/downloads/ncurses$ make install
    cd man && make DESTDIR="" install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kubuntu/downloads/ncurses/man'
    sh ./../mkinstalldirs /usr/man
    mkdir /usr/man
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/man': Permission denied
    make[1]: *** [/usr/man] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kubuntu/downloads/ncurses/man'
    make: *** [install] Error 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone help me here? I'm have been a windows freak untill know so I don't really know what i'm doing. Is this the correct way to install kismet? Is there an easier way?

Thx

Re: Kismet - uClibc++ - Ncurses

You should probably pause and read this chapter:

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/kubuntu...lications.html

To make it simply, Linux is not like Windows. To install software you don't go to the manufacturer web page and download it. The usual way of installing software is using your distribution package manager.

Most program web pages will only have downloads for the source code for the programs that they made. No binaries. If you don't know what binaries or source code is, them you don't need them .

Just read all the above chapter.

BTW, if you really want to compile ncurses from source instead of just installing it. Them:

Code:
    $ sudo make install
    Is the answer that you are looking for.

Javier.

Comment

Re: Kismet - uClibc++ - Ncurses

hey Abi

I downloaded kismet from its website started installing and got the same output you did,
      then found it coincidentally in package manager and installed. I have it now but I'm trying to figure
      out how to work it

good luck

Comment

Working...
      X