This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remote connect to windows???

I need to know if there is a way for me to connect from linux to Windows?

I have rdesktop and the gui for it as well but don't know if that's all I need and if so, what do I need running on the windows (xp) side to connect to it?

until recently I was dual booting between Xp and Linux, but now I am solely on linux and sometimes I need to connect to my brothers pc (windows xp) to help him out with something he's having trouble with. We live 1100 miles apart so this is the only way I can help him.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: remote connect to windows

Rdesktop will work. It works exactly the same way that the windows remote desktop. In windows XP Pro you should right-click on "My PC", choose Properties, select the remote tab and mark "allow remote connections to my desktop".

You will also need to have the 3389 port open in your brother router and firewall.

Rdesktop will work exactly the same way that the windows remote conection.

You can also use some of the VNC servers that are avaliable for windows. Those server use a different port, so remember to open it in the router.

With VNC there is a interesting option that is a listening client. The server will connect to the client, meaning that you only need to open ports on your side and told your brother to run a program.

Another difference is that VNC will let you both see the same screen while rdesktop will disconnect your brothers session.

Reading all the above it seems quite dense. I hope that you can find some light in it.

Javier.

Comment

See this thread
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...60204#msg60204

If you need help with it you can PM me and I'll help you out with it but its pretty easy

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'll give that post a try and see if I can figure it out. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X